Taming the Scrippsie within me

Yesterday was our first mock audition of the four we’ll have during Broadway Dance Center’s Professional Semester this fall.  These mock auditions are run like a normal audition: sign-in, turn-in headshot and resume, learn combination, director makes cuts, callbacks ensue, etc.  However, these are great learning experiences because each dancer receives individual feedback during and following the audition, which is completely unheard of in real life.

The audition call read: Seeking male and female dancers of all ethnicities for summer stock show of “Hairspray.”  Especially seeking versatile dancers to perform in other shows of upcoming season.  Please be prepared to dance several combinations and bring a headshot/resume.

I showed up at Broadway Dance Center at 7:30am on a ridiculously cold (and surprisingly snowy!) October morning.  I submitted my stapled-together headshot (photographed in Margaret Fowler garden by my fellow Scrippsie, Nina Pincus) and resume…

NOTE: Dance/performing arts resumes are formatted much differently than your typical career-oriented resumes – ie. include photo on actual resume, body measurements, vocal range, special skills, do not include dates, do not include descriptions of jobs/awards, cut resume to be 8×10, etc.

When all 35 dancers (small group for a normal audition, actually) entered the studio, we were lined up horizontally in numerical order and the panel of crazy-amazing authority (BDC President, esteemed teachers, agent, Broadway performers, etc.) began to give feedback to each dancer’s appearance.  Dressed in a princess-cut leotard and tap skirt, I was told that I should have catered my wardrobe more to the characters of the show (brighter colors, 60’s vibe, etc.) Next, we were taught a quick ballet combination (actually, the choreographer just “said” the steps without showing them!  I’m so thankful for Prof. Ronnie Brosterman’s ballet vocabulary exams!).  Finally, we learned and performed a high-energy routine to Hairspray’s “You Can’t Stop The Beat.”

I felt like I performed well for the first mock audition of the semester, but definitely knew I had areas to improve upon – dressing so that I stand out from the crowd of other dancers who may look just like me, executing the choreography with precision, and realizing that I am “auditioning” even when I’m learning the combinations or standing on the sides (ie. still smiling, standing up straight, etc.).  I was SO surprised, therefore, when I was told that the agent kept my headshot and resume after the audition to potentially offer me representation! I still feel like I’m dreaming….but keeping my fingers crossed!

On a less exciting note, I wanted to bring up a sort of struggle I’ve been having over the past week.  The other day I was called into the BDC director’s office to meet with her and two other program coordinators.  I felt like I was being called in to the principal’s office!  I was overwhelmed when they told me that they’d received feedback that I sometimes come across to teachers as closed-off and resistant.  They explained that my body language (sometimes hunched over when I’m standing or sitting) and critical perspective (I always ask questions!) contribute to this resistance that was not actually part of my personality.  I am thankful that they approached me about this, even though it was hard to hear, because I know that it means they see potential in me and want me to succeed in this industry.  I am consciously working on maintaining a pleasant smiling face and “open” posture even when I am tired or upset.  I don’t know how to grapple with my inner Scrippsie, as I call it.  I am proud of the fact that I have the confidence to ask questions and not accept everything that people tell me.  For example, I debated putting my weight on my resume because I believe it contributes to the looks-based prejudice of the dance industry.  I am trying to figure out how to maintain my critical perspective without coming across as doubtful or rude to those who are maybe not used to being questioned (whereas Scripps is a world of questioning!).  Please comment on this post if you have any advice!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *