The one place

In four months, it all ends – the meal plan, the fountain outside my window, the trips to the pool before lunch, and the unlimited rose-picking. For some people the next step is not a daunting task. I have many friends who have applied and been accepted to a number of fellowships and teaching programs and even jobs–and, honestly, I envy their security.

However, like the majority of students in my graduating class, I am paralyzed by indecision and the overwhelming number of possibilities before me. Fortunately, in the midst of all this uncertainty, there is one job market that calls to me more loudly than the others. The industry? Fashion. And the headquarters? New York City.

It’s Central Park, the soaring skyscrapers, the amazing shops, and the Frank-Sinatra atmosphere. I have loved the city for years and promised myself at an early age that it was going to be my new home following graduation. Maybe it is bit too big a promise and too big a goal. But why should I be willing to give up a dream that has lasted me since the first years of high school? Isn’t that what your middle school teachers are always telling you – anything is possible? Reach for the stars?

For the greater part of my adolescence, my pop cultural diet consisted of romantic comedies from the 1990s (a la When Harry Met Sally and You’ve Got Mail) set against the urban backdrop of New York City. I daydream of browsing through the Brooklyn market for vintage home decorations and the possibility of frequenting multiple art openings in one night. I know, it all seems so vapid. I understand that these dreams are clichéd, but at the core of these hopes is an ambitious, and entirely realistic, pursuit of happiness.

The one great thing about wanting to work in one place is that it narrows down your search tremendously. By using Life Connections, you can simply plug in the zip code of your ideal work destination and with no trouble, you have a huge list of alumni with interesting jobs, all of whom you can contact. In fact, Life Connections is the resource through which I was connected to my dream internship at Teen Vogue.

But there are also many other options – connections through Linkedin, company websites, family friends, and word of mouth.

So though I may be freaking out several times a week, believing that I will end up homeless and unemployed, I must remember that there are plenty of choices, especially in New York, and though my first job may not be perfect, it will be an experience and a stepping stone.

2 thoughts on “The one place

1. Hi Kristina,

I just wanted to say that I really hope you don’t give up this dream. I was like you. I wanted to move to NY since I was 11 years old. I decided that post-Scripps was the perfect time to make the move–so I did. I’ve been here a few years now, and it has been the most challenging and rewarding decision I’ve ever made. If New York is for you, then it’s for you, and you know it. You should definitely join our Scripps alumnae community here. We’ve got a wonderful and thriving contingent.

I look forward to having you join us in New York!

2. Hi Jillian!
    Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! I am so excited to move to NY and experience a cold and snowy winter. It is also such a relief to know that there is a community of Scrippsies there- I can’t wait to join you and the alumnae group!
    Hope to meet you soon,
    Kristina

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *