Application Do’s and Don’ts

As I’m waiting to hear back from internships I applied for, I’ve been thinking a lot about what I did well on my applications and resume, and what I could do to improve my tailoring-technique in the future. I’m a newbie to the “real” job and internship search, and have been slowly but surely learning the do’s and don’ts of application writing.

Here are some things I’m glad I learned…

1)   I learned from CP&R to always have a few words key ideas you want to emphasize in each part of your application – these may be enthusiasm, customer service skills, leadership qualities, etc. Also, sticky-notes are your friend to make a list!

2)   Something I learned from a friend of mine who now does freelance application and resume editing is CONTINUITY. While it’s tempting to be completely well-rounded or wishy-washy about exactly what you want to do in the future, it is better to state your purpose for applying to the particular position in your cover letter, and use that purpose as a thread throughout your entire application. In my last application, I chose those I wanted to pursue a career in performing arts management, and always brought back my answers to how the particular internship would prepare me for such a career.

3)   Something people don’t tell you to do, but always appreciate, is to add some humanity to your application. It should, of course, be formal, but a well-placed comment can let your personality come across on paper. For example, I recently mentioned in my cover letter for an internship in Copenhagen that despite my first encounter with Denmark being on a very grey, snowy, winter day, I managed to appreciate the radiance I found in their arts and culture. On another application, I let it be known I expect to make coffee-runs as an intern to make their office run smoothly. It is easy to want to talk yourself up in an application (which you should!) but it’s always good to have some humility.

4)   RESEARCH THE ORGANIZATION.  When applying for anything, make sure you know as much as you can about the company or organization you are applying to, and let that come across in your application. This is especially important if you are being interviewed, so you can ask questions as well! They can tell if you’re sending a perfunctory application, so always use your online resources for information!

5)   Start the application a few weeks to a month before the deadline. Like writing an essay, it will get better with each edit, so write it out, put it away, and revisit it. Maybe even have a new set of eyes look at it. I have the problem of repeating words or phrases too much in an application, so I try to take a fresh look at it as much as possible.

Some things I wish I had done better…

1)   I wish I had done more research about the things on my resume. Numbers and statistics are always a great way for employers to gauge the scope of what you’ve done. For example, I am the president of the 5C Mariachi Band. While this is an activity, it does require a lot of hard work and I would want that to come across on my resume. I now know I should have looked into how many performances per semester we play, the amount of money we are given by the school, how much money we make, and all the qualities that go into being an effective leader.

2)   If you had a hard semester – explain it! There is no shame in having gone through a rough patch because of depression, sickness, anxiety, or even death of a loved one. People are human, and if there is room for you to explain why you did not perform at your best for a period of time, you should.

3)   Get into contact with those who are connected to the job you are applying for, or those who had in the past. If you know someone who had an internship at one point that you are applying for, you should contact that person. They may be able to help you figure out if applying is worth it, what to realistically expect from the job/internship, what you should stress on your application, and even your odds of getting it.

What helps you write a killer application? What are some pitfalls you’ve learned through experience?

One thought on “Application Do’s and Don’ts

1. Great thoughts here! I was recently thinking about all of this stuff because even though I just graduated and currently have a job, I will be going through applications all over again. (Emily, I am an intern at DIS…I’m assuming that is probably what you applied for – let me know if you have any questions about it!)

Re: #3 on the second part – ABSOLUTELY. And in certain situations I would even say that you should contact the person who is currently in the position you are applying for! I was actually surprised that NO ONE emailed me to ask about being a DIS intern…and I had a say in choosing my replacement, so talking to me directly would have been a big plus. It shouldn’t be a “pick me!” kind of an email, but maybe ask how they like it, what they’re working on right now, anything they wish they had known prior to accepting the job…I would have been impressed if someone took the time to actually learn more about the job and whether it is the right fit for them.

Also…ANSWER THE QUESTIONS clearly and directly (if it is an application with essay prompts or something). I can’t tell you how many applications I read that told a great story that demonstrated their strengths, but didn’t actually answer what we were asking them. Big mistake.

Think about what the job will actually entail, and be realistic about it. Just as an example, if you’re applying to be a volunteer coordinator at a nonprofit that helps at-risk youth…think about the skills that you have (or can develop) that will actually be put to use. In this position, it is unlikely you’re going to be changing the world. It’s more likely you’ll be working on recruitment, sorting applications and paperwork, managing a database, keeping a budget. So of course demonstrate passion for the organizations mission, but be realistic on what you’ll actually be doing. (This can go back to my first point about asking the current job holder what they actually do on a day-to-day basis).

Hope that helps someone out there in internet-land! We’re all in this together!
    Good luck,
    Hannah