How to Write a Thank You Note (in any Galaxy, near or far, far away)

As young professionals we often need a helping hand, actually, many helping hands. I know I’m personally grateful to a number of people – my brilliant professors and classmates, my understanding supervisors at work, my supportive parents (Hi mom!) – and I’m often at a loss of what to say in the moment. Thus, I often rely on thank you notes to help express my appreciation. Of course, a card or email isn’t always enough or even appropriate, but I think it’s important to note that even little minutiae can have a big impact.

When I was young my mother always made particularly big fusses after the holidays; she always made sure I handwrote cards to my relatives for all the Barbies and Magic Tree House books I got (You know you love them!). Likewise, we always bought two boxes of cards before my birthdays: one box of invitations and another box of thank you cards. A simple thank you note says two very important things: (1) “Thank you for supporting me by either coming to my event or doing that one thing” and (2) “I would really appreciate your support in the future… please remember me!”

These days, while I still occasionally write thank you notes for presents, I find myself more frequently writing them for the professors, supervisors, and interviewers who helped me achieve milestones such as landing my first interview or job. By sending them thank you cards or emails, I’m communicating my appreciation for the time they’ve invested in me and also asking them for their continued support in the future. There’s a professional as well as personal benefit to writing thank you notes. Good feelings all around!

I always keep a little box of Crane & Co. cards handy in case an occasion arises. An Amazon reviewer appreciates that these cards have “no tacky dayglo flowers or chintzy sayings” and a “simple refined elegance”. If you plan on sending a thank you card via good old snail mail, these are a safe and classy option. Both my best friend and grandmother would approve of these! If you plan on sending a thank you email you could jazz it up by using your favorite font. I personally love Times, no New Roman for me!

Here are some thank you notes I’ve actually sent in the past (though they’re in a slightly modified form here). Please feel free to modify and use them in the future (and if you have suggestions for improvement, don’t hesitate to post them)!

[A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…]

Dear Governor Tarkin,

I just wanted to thank you for being my reference. As a result, I start my new position on the Death Star next week. I truly appreciate your time and hope I will be able to call upon you again in the future.

Zone Captain #6

OR

Zone Captain #6,

Thank you for the card. It was a pleasure assisting you with the destruction of the Rebel Alliance, and I look forward to another year on the Death Star.

Thank you again for thinking of me!

Governor Tarkin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *