Internship Application Tips

Applying to internships can seem like a daunting task that can involve many different steps. For myself, finding internships to apply to has never been an issue. However, I have found that the legwork involved in getting my applications together can be quite daunting. So, I thought I’d share three tips I have found helpful during the application process.

1. Letters of Recommendation: Give people time. People writing a letter for you for the first time probably need a minimum of three weeks. It may be even better to ask for it as much as a month ahead of time. It can be really helpful to tell them exactly what you are looking for in the letter, laying out the qualities you want them to emphasize based on the internship you are applying for. Additionally, don’t be afraid to ask the same person for a letter more than once. If they have already written one for you, chances are they can modify it for other internships you are applying to.

2. Get Credit: There are many different ways to get class credit for doing an internship. In fact, many internships that are unpaid require that you receive credit. One option is to receive credit through your major. For example, I am getting credit for my internship over the summer through a class this semester called MS196. It’s basically an independent study that involves some writing assignments. The great thing about the class is that it counts as an elective towards my major. The downside to this is that it involves extra work outside of the internship that can be kind of a drag once you’re wrapped up in other classes. Another way to get credit is directly through the registrar. You can stop in their office and fill out a petition of either a whole or half credit. The nice thing about this is that you still receive credit for completing the internship and you don’t have to do any outside work. However, it may not necessarily count towards your major.

3. Get an official transcript: I don’t know about anyone else, but when I was in high school, we could just stop in the office to get a copy of our transcript. The registrar’s office here asks that you give them plenty of time to put together your official transcript. You can do this a couple of different ways. First, you can go to the registrar’s page on Scripps’ website and where guide you through the process of requesting a transcript. On the website, you will be able to tell them where to mail and you can pay for it. You can even get text message notifications about the progress of your transcript! The second way to get a transcript is by stopping in the office and asking for one. They’ll tell you when to come back to pick it up. This option may be preferable if you want to send your transcript along with your application.

Alright, I hope this helped some of you navigate some of the internship application process! Anyone else have some pointers?

One thought on “Internship Application Tips

1. Great tips for internships, Laurel! I’m in the process of writing a blog about my internship experience this summer (actually in order to get academic credit for my major, which is a great thing that everyone should do), so if anyone would like to read more about internships, take a look at LaurenGoesToDC.wordpress.com. Enjoy!