5 Tips for Phone Interviews

Over the past few weeks, I have had the enormous pleasure (and stress) of going through at least three phone interviews for summer internships, and multiple phone conversations with previous or current employees at these companies (connections are so important). As a result, I have a few tips that I found work well. That being said, I haven’t actually been offered an internship yet, so I can only assume these are good tips.

1. Always have at least two questions for the interviewer. If you’re stuck on questions, it’s always good to ask why the interviewer likes to work there or what the workplace culture is like. This type of question really gets at the core of the company you are interviewing for. It will help you figure out not only if the company is right for you, but also if the working environment will work for you.
  2. Interviews are just as much for you as they are for the employers. Often we are so focused on figuring out the right questions to answer so that we can put our best foot forward, that we overlook the fact that that aspect of the interview is only half the story. The other just as important feature is that it can help you decide if it’s the right fit for your needs, desires, etc. During an interview I had a few weeks ago for a small start-up in L.A., the interviewer I had didn’t have very many questions for me, and then basically told me that what I did last summer is exactly what they do and what I would be doing this summer. This comment made me realize that I didn’t want to end up at this company because I wanted new experience, not the exact same stuff I had already spent three months doing last summer. Another example is that a week later I had an interview with a media company. Every single question they asked me was well thought out and really got to the heart of who they were and what they wanted from me. If I were in the interview position, these were the questions I would have asked. Because of that, this is now my top choice for an internship. Interviews help you as much as they help the interviewer.
  3. Phone interviews are often super scary and don’t go as well as in-person ones. I always prefer in-person interviews, but you don’t always have that luxury. Don’t forget to be animated. Sometimes your voice can be monotone over the phone, and it’s important for the person on the other end to know that you are excited about the opportunity and how you can contribute; make sure that your voice parallels those feelings.
  4. Have your resume in front of you when you’re interviewing that way you can bring in specific details about certain experiences you have had that help articulate and embellish your answers.
  5. Just because you’re on the phone and they can’t see you doesn’t mean you should be in pajamas sitting on your bed. Even if you’re not dressed in completely professional attire, it really gets you in the mood and mindset to be somewhat well dressed and sitting at a desk. That means no beanbag chairs or couches, and especially not tucked under those comfy covers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *