Asking for help is good. Seriously.

This is not going to be a happy post about how everything is coming along swimmingly but I promise it does end on a positive note. I really tried to write many other things pertinent to my career development process but I gave up after deleting draft after draft. The truth is that last week was a really rough week. I was on a military schedule planning my life in 30 minute intervals,  wore old, tattered sweatshirts twice (to my fashionable friends’ dismay), and squeezed in my reading in between classes. I was so very tired of people but I couldn’t stand to be alone. I didn’t want to talk but I wanted people to understand. I truly appreciate realness and people who tell it as it is and one of my goals is to do that for all the readers of the blog so here’s me keeping it real.

The workload cranked into a higher gear this week, from very manageable to manageable only with considerable discipline, which naturally is correlated with my (ever)rising stress levels. That alone would’ve been okay. However, in combination with emotional ups and downs it was tough. Tidbit about self: sensitive to inner turmoil, acutely aware of emotional states both mine and others. Last week, my productivity took a dive.

Second tidbit about self: I have a hard time reaching out for help. For me, I don’t feel shameful or helpless when I ask for help. I just feel vulnerable and vulnerability is just a tiny, weenie bit terrifying. But as my awesome luck would have it I literally just blurted out that I needed help to my close friend. After a long talk over yummy food, a prerequisite for talking life, I felt so much better about everything.  My friends and classmates really came through for me and–wow–that felt good. Ask for help, seriously. Lesson learned.

So after one of the best Fridays I’ve ever had this year I feel rejuvenated and motivated once again to be productive and to take care of myself. As a matter of fact, I’m in the process of reaching out to a couple of alumnae to talk about yet another possible internship this summer. Concise and professional networking emails here I come. I found their information via Life Connections, a database of Scripps alums who put information about their major, jobs, and contact information on the site practically volunteering to be a resource to Scripps students.  Psss, it’s found in your Scripps portal below the student accounts link to the left.

Knowing what I know about the Scripps community, I’m pretty confident that this too will come through. Besides, being comfortable with asking for help and advice is quite a good thing.

3 thoughts on “Asking for help is good. Seriously.

1. Thanks so much for sharing, Jing.  Sometimes we can’t expect to be our best, full selves until we share with others why we are only halfway there.  I think this post will really resonate with some of our frustrated students who are really “in it”, trying to balance school, jobs, friends, family, partners, involvement on campus, etc.  It’s tough and it’s not always pretty, but it can be manageable if you know where your resources are and how to ask for help when you need it.  I appreciate your realness and hope you know that CP&R is always here — even if it’s just for you to vent.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *