Lists: What I Heard Around the Company

Things I’ve Learned as an Intern at a Fortune 500 Corporation (General Session)

• Execs can be very demanding and sometimes insensitive. They don’t mean it personally. Learn to deal with it.
  • The poker face is the only face.

• DO YOGA or your legs will slowly begin to constrict until you walk like you’re 40 due to constant desk-sitting.

• Dedication and organization go a long way.

• The people you work with make the job. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather hate the work I’m doing and love the people I’m working with than the other way around.

Things Execs Told Me Made them Successful

• If you can figure out when your boss comes in, try to get to work 15 minutes before. People will notice if you’re there before they are; they won’t know how late you stay after they leave. It’s a small change that makes a world of difference.

• If you’re going to cheat or be honest, do either for YOU and only YOU. If the only thing keeping you honest is being afraid of punishment, why do it? Similarly, if you’re only cheating because somebody is pressuring you, stop. Do things because you want to. It’s the only way to stay genuine.

• Company loyalty means nothing. Your boss may try to take care of you, your team might be awesome, but if a great opportunity comes, pursue it! You’re not betraying your company by taking another job.

• Treat your resume as your closest and most prized asset.

• Research companies you’re considering working for! Some companies are sketch or have low employee happiness ratings. There are websites and people you can contact to make sure it’s a good fit.

• Never run away from something. Always run TO something.

• Be passionate! If not about your job or major, then find something that you love and stick to it. Who knows, it might end up being your inspiration for your greatest success.
  • Find a work-life balance.

Stuff My Boss Told Me

• Slow down! You’re working so fast, I’m afraid you’re going to burn out.

• If anybody tells you to bring them coffee, stomp on them.

• You’re surprisingly prepared for this. Thank your teachers.