How to: Greet an Executive

While working at the Company, I got an unusual amount of exposure for an intern. And by exposure, I mean each of the interns working at the corporate office where I was got to meet the CEO, the CFO, all of the presidents, and some of the most senior members, including a former CFO who has worked in high positions with many different companies. And, at the end of the summer, we each presented our research and projects to each of these people.

The speaker series (wherein I met said executives) was amazing. They would tell us stories from their careers, what they did for a living, and what they hoped to do. The CEO ended up lecturing us on toxic asset dumping and how the entire economic crisis of 2009 came about. None of them was exactly the same, but each was a great learning experience.

You will never look as silly as these guys in their Google intern beanies… so at least you can take comfort in that.
…Unless you decide to become a Google intern.

Initially I would get incredibly starstruck, unsure of how to relate to them, and immediately shut up. Another intern decided to try and impress them, asking (in my opinion) inane questions in order to seem smart; I asked him later and he said “I felt like I had to say something.”

In reality neither of these approaches really work. From my experience, the best way to relate to high-power people is to remember that they, at the end of the day, are just people. Yes, they are smart, talented, and driven, but they have families, interests, and insecurities. They were once young, hopeful interns just like you. So greet your executives, bosses, higher-ups, celebrities like you would want to be greeted. Nice, firm handshake, smile, and a “Hello, how are you doing today?” Don’t try to push an agenda, at least not at first; build a relationship without ulterior motives. It makes everything so much easier.