The Power of a Question

One of the biggest pieces of advice I’ve received since I came to Scripps is, “You won’t get something if you don’t ask for it.”  This advice isn’t quite true, because there are some things in life that are just given, but recently I’ve found that asking simple questions can bring about many opportunities.

Going to a woman’s college has taught me many things, but one thing in particular, is that, often, I don’t realize I’m holding myself back.  I haven’t ever been explicitly told to accept what’s given to me, and never ask for more, but I had definitely understood throughout my elementary and high school career, that I was to (as was socially acceptable) do exactly that.  Since coming at Scripps, I’ve realized that I have excessive resources at my fingertips, that I can easily take advantage of.

Whether I learned to ask for more because of my Core II class, Economics of Gender and Choice, with Nancy Macko and Sean Flynn, or because of Ask For It, a book by Linda Babcock that teaches women (and men) the power of negotiation, or because I’ve finally been told that it’s okay to ask for what I want and need in order to succeed.

Here are some questions I’ve asked where I thought the answer would be a simple no.

• Can I change my flight to make it more convenient for me? (They did it for free, but it was in their interest, as well.)
  • Can I design publications for the office? (This question led to my first designs being printed.)
  • Can I be involved in this organization? (This question rarely is responded to with a “No.” Usually, people will find at least a small way to you to become involved with the organization.)

So, my advice to you is to ask.  Ask for what you need and what you want in order to push your career along and in order to further your education, because the worst thing someone could say is, “No.”

One thought on “The Power of a Question

1. Well said, Jenny. When thoughtfully posed, questions can also create opportunity for organic ideas and wonderful conversation. Good questions are an essential component of good networking.