Application Time Part II: Procrastination

So, you know that post Emma wrote back in November about how it’s application time? This is Part II. Because yes, I did turn one application in that week and then proceeded to procrastinate on the rest of them. I told myself that I had exams to study for and papers to write. (And to be honest, Netflix to watch…) I told myself they’d get done over winter break. Yet as soon as winter break came around I had to spend time with family and friends and read the books that I’ve been meaning to read! (Annnnd watch some Netflix…)

But now it’s February and I’m running out of excuses. So I’m going to procrastinate by writing a blog post to help YOU to stop procrastinating, and maybe I’ll get inspired as well.

We’re going to make a toolkit! (Using several tips I learned at the Time Management Workshop hosted by CP&R as part of the Emerging Professionals Program.)

What you need:

Motivation!

• Think about what you’re applying for and why! If it’s something you’re passionate about, that might make you excited to start your search for the perfect job or fill out the applications that will secure it.
  • If the prospect of the job itself doesn’t motivate you, try rewarding yourself after. If you filled out two applications, then you can spend a half hour on Facebook. After you hit “submit,” you definitely deserve a night of Netflix.

Information!

• Google is every college student’s best friend. Google information about the field you’re looking to go into. You can find prominent companies or positions in that field. You can also find general descriptions of your ideal job so you know what you’re working towards!
  • If that seems like it requires a little too much effort or you’re not sure where to start, make an appointment at CP&R! My first appointment helped me so much. I learned how to look for jobs on ClaremontConnect, find Scrippsie Alums through Life Connections, and how to make my resume look like I’ve actually done something. (#undergradlife)

Application! (Had to keep with the –ation theme.)
Now you just have to do it and this is where the time management comes in, but thanks to the workshop I have a few quick fixes for that!

• Do applications stay at the bottom of your to-do list in lieu of this week’s reading? (And this week’s episode of Sherlock?)
    • Try using the site “Remember the Milk” or download the app “Remember the Milk”. (It’s free!) You can (and should!) set due dates for each task, and the app will send you notifications or emails about what tasks you need to complete today. This way you can’t keep all your applications at the bottom!
  • Do you not know your schedule well enough to know when you could have you “Remember the Milk” tasks be due?
    • Try taking a closer look at what you’re doing each day with either of the worksheets attached below. If scrolling through Tumblr takes the 5pm-7pm slot three nights a week, maybe one or two of those slots could go to applications!

• Do you automatically type “facebook.com” every time you open a new window in your browser and get stuck scrolling through your newsfeed instead of opening the application you intended to turn in?

Now stop reading the blog and START APPLYING!!! Right now. 

No. Don’t open Facebook in a new tab.