Sharks, Embarrassing Moments, and Networking…

Networking is the most terrifying thing ever. (And I scuba dive 100 feet below sea level with sharks, which aren’t even the most dangerous part of that scenario. Needless to say, I know scary.) It is also awkward. (I’m also an expert in awkward. I fell on my face, for no apparent reason, on to concrete in front of the library the other day in front of at least 40 people. I wish that was the first time that happened. Again, trust me. I know awkward.) There have been quite a few times in my life when I have blatantly refused to do it. However, we’re more than halfway through March, and I still don’t have a job for the summer. So, I’m wishing I started this networking thing a little sooner.

Since I started to connect with friends and family to ask them about job opportunities, I’ve had two interviews. I would NEVER have had those interviews if it weren’t for networking. In fact, I’m not sure I would have gotten my internship at the St. Louis Zoo if it weren’t for networking. (And I was VERY reluctant to do it when I was applying two years ago.)

Now I’m older and wiser, and I’m lucky enough to have other older and wiser friends who want to help me find opportunities. As I said, it’s now March and I still don’t have an internship for the summer, so I’m very willing to accept, and even ask for, help now.

I’m starting to see the benefits too, even more than the getting-my-foot-in-the-door perk. I’ve been denied from four jobs so far because I “don’t have enough experience.” WELL OF COURSE I DON’T HAVE ENOUGH EXPERIENCE, I’M 21 AND I ONLY DECIDED I WANTED TO WORK IN THIS FIELD LAST AUGUST. This internship is supposed to be my opportunity to start getting experience! People say that, in college, you should explore all your interests and not pin yourself down immediately. Subsequently, you’re punished for doing so because you don’t have the requisite experience for any careers you finally decide to pursue…

The point of this rant is that networking has helped me sidestep that particular obstacle. Because of this connection, I’m no longer just a resume that lists everything from “Admissions Ambassador” to “Zookeeper.” Through networking, I become a person. Someone can vouch for my work ethic, my people skills, and my OCD-like organization. Then I get the interview and I can explain how being a Peer mentor, an Advocate, and a member of leadership for a dance company led me to where I am today. I can connect the dots for them and explain how, because of these experiences, I can contribute to their company. Without someone to point me out and say, “Hey, let’s give her a chance!” I’m just a list of mismatched experiences on a piece of paper.

So, as we get closer to May, I’m talking to anyone and everyone. I’m constantly making new connections on LinkedIn. I’m looking for a Scrippsie or 5C grad in every company I apply to, hoping at some point, someone will notice me and help give me a chance. I know if someone does decide to stick their neck out for me to help me land a position, I won’t let them down. I will work hard and do any menial intern tasks happily, because I know how much it took for me to get this opportunity, and I’m not going to let it go to waste. In the end, the awkward and terrifying conversations will be worth it. I’ll keep trying this networking-thing, and hopefully it will be less scary and uncomfortable if it means I get a job. Until then, I’ll keep diving with sharks and falling in front of strangers though, just to keep things in perspective.