Networking in College

I’ve heard talks about how to network with recruiters and working professionals during networking events, interviews, and job fairs. Shaking hands with a firm grasp? Making eye contact? Asking for business cards? That’s all important. But this blog post is about the power of networking with your peers.

Last summer, a few entering first-years organized a Southern California beach social for everyone to meet and get to know each other before the school year started. (Side note: one of the organizers of the event later became one of my roommates!) After hanging out at the beach, a few girls and I decided to go to the 626 Night Market, so we all carpooled. During the car ride, I was talking to a girl I had met that afternoon about our interests, one of which included wanting to go to law school. She mentioned that her father was a partner at a law firm that he started with a few other people. A few days later, I asked the girl if I could send her father my resume for him to look in case he was interested in hiring an unpaid intern. She agreed, but I never got a response. Fortunately, the following weekend, the Scripps Association of Families hosted an event for incoming students. The girl I had spoken to the previous weekend was there, and she introduced me to her father. We spoke for a bit about what he did at his firm and what work I would be doing if I were hired, and he ended up giving me business card and asking me to call him the following day. When I did, he offered me a paid position and I agreed to start working the next morning. I worked at this firm for five weeks and had an exceptional experience.

To my amazing friend who helped me get this job: Thank you.

Last week, my friends and I were getting ready to go to a party and one of my friends mentioned to me that she was looking for a job. I remembered that my uncle had asked me to work at his health clinic a few weeks earlier, but that I declined because I was too busy with schoolwork this semester. I proceeded to call him to set up a meeting with my friend during Spring Break. This morning, my friend told me that she was offered a position and starts training tomorrow.

Networking doesn’t always need to occur when you’re dressed in your most professional attire. This may sound frivolous, but you can be in a bikini or party dress and still network. It works, trust me.

Scripps at Huntington Beach, July 2013

946880_10201090643340733_1676254162_n