Thankful

For high school, I went to a boarding school in Western Massachusetts. The campus was big, beautiful, and resembled the many liberal arts colleges found in New England. Because of this, I had this arrogant idea that I already knew what college was going to be like. Living in a dorm, cleaning your own room, constructing your own time management, etc. I thought of myself as a total independent person at the age of fourteen. Sure, the first couple months were tough- I learned that I simply couldn’t live off meals of solely cheese, rice and brownies from the dining hall. I learned that washing sheets is a real thing, as well as vacuuming more often than the post- popcorn spill. I learned that you have to space out your homework times, never assume that you will finish all your homework in the last hour of study hall. After perfecting all the tricks of boarding school, I was confident that I was ready for the transition into college.  I failed to recognize the dozens of people who held my hand during my time in high school. I was supported by an infinite number of factors, and looking back, I can’t find a just way to thank them for the abundance of help I was given.

In those first rough months boarding school, I received a C on my first Physics test. After crying to my patient advisor, she set up a meeting with a learning skills tutor. I thought it was horrifying that I was meeting with a learning skills tutor, I felt dumb and ashamed. After our first meeting which was held in her comfy velvet-filled and cookie-scented living room, she gave me tips that have stuck with me and have become second nature in my study habits. Here are a few:

Space it out: Never leave anything for the last minute- Especially studying for tests that need memorization. It may seem obvious, but studying little by little will help loads.

DON’T bring your computer in bed: Sleep is the crucial ingredient for good academic results, and being on your computer in bed will confuse your brain and body and make it harder for you to fall asleep. Same thing about being on your phone, high stimulation before sleeping is a recipe for disaster.

Find a spot: Create a study space where you just study. If you dare to flip your phone out to check Instagram, you are subconsciously opening a door to distract yourself further. Don’t do it!

Give yourself breaks: I can’t focus for more than thirty minutes at a time, and that’s okay! Stretch, listen to your favorite song, check social media, something that is quick and fun and can rekindle your studying energy.

These things might seem silly or obvious, but have really helped me become a better college student. If it weren’t for the things my teachers taught me in high school, I would be nowhere near prepared for the rigor of Scripps Academia. I know these tools will help me through my college years, and can’t wait to see how they help me past these years and in the realm of the career world.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *