Unleashing the Beast that is Networking…Dun Dun Dunnn

Over fall break, I had the great pleasure of going on a networking trip. I had a wonderfully enlightening learning experience as I got to speak to individuals in various fields including finance, income management, sales and customer service, a tech start up company, banking, and more. It was such a fantastic experience!

It was my first time on an official networking trip and that definitely got my blood pumping, but this time in an exhilarating ‘I’m taking charge of my future’ kind of way! But for those of you who are tad unfamiliar with what networking really is or have the adverse reaction of blood pumping in an ‘I’m scared to death’ way, let me explain my experiences and hopefully assuage your thoughts.

So networking….you hear about it, you know at one point you’re going do it, and yet… the anxiousness and sweaty palms are still there. I mean it’s simple, right?  You create personal and business relations with other people in a career field you are most likely interested in, right? I mean, all you do is ask questions, take their cards, make eye contact, connect with them on LinkedIn, send a thank you email afterwards, and you’re done! Ta-da internship found! Well, not so much, but that doesn’t mean that the experience wasn’t one of the best preparations for your life beyond college, because it most definitely felt that way for me.

Although networking with different companies or individuals is a lot like I described above, achieving the art of networking can transform your life, get that wonderful job you always hoped for and maybe just maybe make your dreams come true (might as well throw in the pony that you always wanted, but really… they are so adorable!) 

cute-pony

Just irresistible! Photo via Warnies

But networking is more than another LinkedIn connection, it is about the REAL connection. Do not be just another name in the pile of students, be memorable! Go out of your way to talk to different people, be curious, proactive, open, and interested. You have to give your full effort and people will most often than not be extremely receptive to you. To stand out, you should do a lot of research on them/their company prior to meeting with them, and comment on something unique in their past. Have a similar interest or commonality with them? Bring it up as a conversation starter! Most importantly, do not be afraid or nervous, that shows lack of confidence. Be proud, engage, and get to know the person on a deeper level than their resume. You may be surprised what the end result is!

And once you leave the event, keep in contact with them.  Ask them follow up questions, thank them for the time they spent with you, and if you feel comfortable, keep them up to date with your life and work. It is great to expand your network, but try to create quality relationships with people that you can reach out to in the future or seek advice from or just keep up to date on their great careers!

social-networking

Think of all the possibilities! Photo via York University

Networking allows us to practice so many useful skills: learn more about different professions, socialize professionally, build relationships, ask intelligent questions, engaging with people from different career fields, and perhaps talk with your future mentors and or employers! You never know, you could hit it off and land a great new learning opportunity!

Have a career fair coming up? Wanna practice how you’re going to approach the situation? Not sure what questions to ask? Not sure what to wear? Ask questions below!

Now go practice networking in the mirror!

Toodles,

Isabella

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *