Learning the Personal Side of Healthcare

There was never really a typical day in my internship and that’s what I loved so much about it. In the field of medicine you’ll see new patients and meet new people every day. The idea of people coming together to heal another reflects one of the best parts of humanity.

Every specialty I’ve gotten to shadow as a part of my internship – pathology, cardiology, obstetrics and gynecology, oncology, internal medicine, dermatology – all demonstrated a passion for the well being of others. I got to see a few autopsies, got to hear a yet-to-be-born baby’s heartbeat, witnessed the heart beating and lungs expanding in a patient having lung cancer removed, got to see countless cardiology procedures from kids to adults and from stents to defibrillators. I sat in on a patient visit discussing with the whole family whether grandpa should get chemotherapy or go into palliative care. I got to sit in on morning hospital rounds discussing patient cases and what should be done for each patient in the ICU. I even saw skin cancer cut out of patients’ face. I learned a lot about the methodology behind how the patient is diagnosed and treated.

Au2

Here, I am pictured presenting my pharmacogenetics project.

There were many “a-ha” moments experienced during my internship, but two stick out in my mind at this time. One was when I was shadowing a physician. We just saw a patient who believed that when he pinched himself and he saw it turn red, it meant he had enough salt in his body. Afterwards, in his office, the physician explained to me that many patients bring superstitious beliefs to him. As long as the superstitions don’t interfere with their health or treatment, he let’s them believe whatever they want. He then went on to relate the patient’s belief in superstition to religion. Patient’s superstitions about their body calm them down and give them a sense of control, knowledge, and assurance. Through superstitions, patients find a way to explain what’s happening with their bodies similar to how we look to religion for solace.

The second time was during my volunteer shift at the ER. While restocking patient rooms I came across an aggravated old lady in a hospital bed. While informing the patient I’d just be restocking the room, she asked when the ambulance would be coming to take her to the nursing home. I checked with her nurse and he explained that it would be 15 minutes. She was frustrated so I talked to her; she expressed her concerns and I expressed empathy. At one point eventually, she started telling me about how her cats like to watch the birds on her patio. She smiled many times and with her lifted mood, before long, 15 minutes had passed.

There were interactions like these with patients where I realized that sometimes all a patient wants is someone to be there for them and for someone to care. Sometimes I would be out in the hospital from 7:30am to 8:00pm and I’d enjoy every minute of it.

Editor’s Note: This guest blogger was a 2014 Scripps College Internship Grant recipient. To learn more about the 2015 Internship Grant process, click here.  Deadline Feb. 5.