She Gets A Job At Phonathon, You Won’t Believe What Happens Next…

Get it? Cuz I write clickbait! Haha jokes.

So today we’re talking about the job that I currently have because I have literally no idea how to find a future one of those (which is what I’m supposed to be writing about shhhhhhhh). This post has been kind of a long time coming since I got a job like a month ago (two months ago?) but before I get started talking about my job, here are some recent things you might need to know….or maybe just forgot

NBC's Chuck anyone? No? of course not

Get the reference? NBC’s Chuck anyone? No? Right, Of course not. Ugh

So without further ado: my past month.

-Learned that faxing is still a thing (I’m taking animation classes at my community college this summer. That is, if I actually faxed them things and didn’t just STRUGGLE FOR NOTHING).

-I went to Disneyland, it was awesome, I will fight anyone who disagrees.

-I cut off a lot of my hair.

-I got elected SAS MEDIA RELATIONS CHAIR (did I include this little update thing just so I could be excited about this? no. yes. probably. sorry about it).

-I’ve burned through a lotttt of TV (in order i think… Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, The 100, Salem, Gotham, Archer, Garfunkel and Oates) I watch this much TV through a technique I call, “being a useless human being.”

-started this blog post, it’s not one of my best, but it’s going pretty okay I think, anyways.

So I currently work at Scripps Phonathon, which is an interesting choice because I normally try to remove the negativity from my life:

example a

And asking people for money is so so so so stressful.

Here’s the thing though, asking people for money is literally every job, it’s just that you also sometimes get to exchange goods and services for that money.

I, on the other hand, get to exchange my limited bank of Scripps memories and a lot of speculation about the new dorm.

images

“um yeah, so there’s probably gonna be rooms and stuff, i think it’s gonna be eco-friendly, anyways i see you graduated with a degree in please start talking about yourself please.”

(Thank god for stock photos honestly.)

But seriously, I love my job because I get to connect with really cool Scripps alumns and also really cool current Scripps students (please love me guys, y’all are so cool), and I also fear it because it’s a lot of pressure.

Fun fact: Scripps tuition only covers 65% of the operating budget and I am now partially responsible for coming up with that other 35%

Less fun fact: I am absolutely terrified of rejection.

I totally get the whole “don’t take it personally thing” and I try to, but in my head all interactions with another human look like this:

tumblr_mz1op3FqL31r5c7dco1_1280I’m not sure how to make that emotion more clear other than to specify that I am Ned in this situation and the spoons are maybe a metaphor that hasn’t been completely realized yet.

But here’s the thing, people have and will continue to reject me for the rest of my life.

How exciting is that!?!?!

tumblr_ndrays4rsC1qm02woo1_500

So right now I’m learning how to take rejection and so should you. There are like 12 billion TED talks I should link you to right here, but I won’t. Instead enjoy this uplifting? song and the knowledge that every time you ask someone to contribute to the Scripps Fund and they can’t because they’re in med school right now it isn’t about you and that rejection just makes you stronger as a person and eventually you’ll have as many dials as Elisabeth.

Or you know, something more accessible. Either way really.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *