Creating Lasting Change in Just 45 Days

This summer I had the privilege of interning at Mi Casa en Ipauratu thanks to the generosity of the Scripps Community and my donor, Rebecca Barber Adams of the class of 1961. My hope is that future Scripps students choose to partner up with this incredible non-profit organization and make a difference in the community of Paluato. Making a difference in a community in a matter of only 45 days seemed impossible to me prior to my internship at Mi Casa en Ipauratu; however, I quickly learned that I was quite mistaken. Every day that I was at this foundation, I was able to see the impact I, alongside other volunteers, had on the lives of the children that attend this foundation.

A typical week at the foundation consists of children coming in Monday through Friday, and sometimes on Saturdays for special events that volunteers, such as myself chose to lead. Every school day, the foundation welcomes its own students, each one suffering from at least one disability. School starts at 8 AM sharp every day and ends at 1:30 PM. After school, the older children that attend Mi Casa en Ipauratu would typically come on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 2:30 PM until 4:30 PM for a fun activity I led. Thursdays were the day of the week that I, along with the other three volunteers would go visit children that are considered to have physical and mental disabilities that render them unable to leave their homes.

Although there was a routine to my days, every day was so special and unique. The children that attend the foundation’s school are really only six, three bright young girls (Lorena, Daniela, and Yanissa) and three high spirited boys (Freddy, Jose, and Carlos). After just one day with these kids I felt completely at home at the foundation. I was amazed at how welcoming they all were to me. As soon as I joined them, they wanted to know who I was. Daniela and Yanissa, being the older ones of the group, would ask me to sit with them when they were working on their assignments; Freddy would come every morning and kiss my cheek to say hello; Lorena would argue with me because she did not want to do her assignment, but later would go behind me and surprise me with a hug. These acts may seem so small, but they made every second worthwhile. At first I wondered if these kids were so open because they were accustomed to having volunteers come so frequently throughout the year, then I wondered if it was a reflection of their culture, or if it was because they do not have anything materialistic to give in order to share their appreciation. Their behavior towards me helped me to look past the many challenges I faced.

One such challenge was coming face to face with the real definition of poverty. I, like many individuals, have read about people living in poverty, but I had never really met anyone in that situation until this summer. Visiting children at their own homes on Thursdays was quite impactful. Prior to my first visit the director of the foundation warned me that some of what I would be seeing would shock me. She was right; the very first house we went to was Dianiz home. Dianiz is a young girl that suffers from several epileptic episodes every day. Her parents cannot pay for any treatment, so she spends her day sitting in a chair or laying down in bed while wearing a diaper. Because of the financial situation, Dianiz’s parents cannot afford to change her diaper every time she urinates herself. Though upsetting, the director shared with me that sometimes all we can do is try to share our joy and put a smile on someone’s face, other times we can help through fundraising, and other times we can support a movement that will enact real and lasting change. I definitely think she is right and hope to pass on that lesson to those around me, along with the many other lessons or self-discoveries I made during my internship.

This summer internship is quite unforgettable. I was challenged to put my everyday comforts aside, I was challenged to learn about the marginalized communities of those who live in poverty and those who live with a disability, and I was challenged to learn about how to run a non-profit organization. I plan on keeping strong ties with this foundation and partnering up with them again in the future.