Staying Grounded

Happy April, everyone! Summer is definitely upon us, but the sheer volume of things that are going to have to get done and happen between now and them is quite a lot. Seniors, I’m rooting for all of you in finishing up thesis and for figuring out what’s next (speaking of thesis, my senior recital is coming up on April 24!). With the last few weeks of my Scripps career, there’s been a whirlwind of conflicting feelings. I am mentally ready for the next step, but logistically, the next step is still out there for me (in other news, I am officially moving to the east coast!).

Here are a few things that have kept me grounded and in the present as I simultaneously manage school while also preparing for the next step.

Explore!

Being in my final month at Scripps doesn’t mean I’ve seen it all. In fact, it makes me realize how much there is that I haven’t been a part of and just how awesome this place is to have so many opportunities and resources readily available. If you don’t know what you want to do, or have a general idea, keep exploring those interests and areas! The amount of classes, clubs, organizations, and resources at the 5C’s are staggering, but that also means there are so many opportunities to find something you’re passionate about. I found that a great way to gain insight into a field, major, particular program, etc., is to reach out to individuals who did or are doing what you are interested in. Since applying for jobs, I’ve become much more comfortable with networking, requesting informational interviews, and exploring multiple different roles, that I most likely wouldn’t have know if it weren’t for exploring.

Always write for an audience!

Treat all of your writing assignments and projects as if they could be used as a writing sample on a job application. Even if the role isn’t explicitly in journalism or editorial work, the organization might call for it! For instance, I applied to a Program Coordinator role and was contacted directly by HR asking for a writing sample. Luckily, my thesis was relevant to the field of the organization. I was able to make a few, quick layout revisions and send it out to HR. Your cover letter and resume are probably the first interactions a company has with your writing. Sometimes the abstraction of “Dear Hiring Manager” is isolating, but remembering that it’s a human on the other end can make the letter more personal and genuine.

Check in!

Check in with those around you, friends, family, professor or other mentors who you have been working with. I know with a busy schedule, I’ve gone days without seeing my own suite mates. It’s important to reconnect with friends, over a meal, a visit to their room, or as a break from homework or studying. Making time for my friends has helped in remembering many others are in a shared experience and that I have an understanding support group. The same goes for family. For me, my parents live 20 minutes away and I have been deliberately making the time to see them before I graduate and move across the country. Your professors also want to know how you are doing! I am thankful for my professors who have asked me how I am doing (REALLY doing) and who express concern if I do not seem like myself.

Regardless if you’re a senior or finishing up your first-year at Scripps, there’s always something more at the end of the semester, after all the studying, homework,late nights, remember what you’re doing it for.