‘Tis the Season of Decisions

It is that time of year when decisions are being made. College acceptance results, job and internship offers, and campus organization positions for next year all come out around this time. I hate getting that email about the status of the application because I know that my emotions after opening it will be extremely happy or sad.

Extreme happiness after "the email" calls for celebration.

Extreme happiness after “the email” calls for celebration.

Here are three main reasons why rejections are hard for me.

1.I feel like someone has judged me and I didn’t pass their test. After hearing a “No,” I can’t help but go over everything I did and try to figure out what I did wrong.

2.I all my effort into the application process and invested my time to do my best, but it was all for nothing.

3.The hardest part for me is readjusting to the fact that I will not be getting the position and there are no more chances to try in the near future. When I get very excited about a position, I start planning like I already have the role and subconsciously act like it’s a for sure thing. So when reality hits, the adjustment period is rough.

On the other hand, here are three thoughts getting me thorough the season.

1.Don’t take rejection personally. An application and interview does not at all sum up who you are and sometimes, decisions can come down to the smallest details you have no control over.

2.You get to call the last shot. I suppose that this only applies to if you have multiple choices and get to choose the position you want out of many offers, but it’s comforting to know that while the employer has the power to unlock the door to a new job, you have the ultimate power to walk right past the door to the next door.

3.Behind every success are many more failures, we just see the successes and not the failures. Hearing this has changed the way I approach unfamiliar things and deal with “no’s.” I might as well go for what I want and not worry about failing, because successes come with failures. No’s aren’t anything to be ashamed of because everyone hears them, we just usually talk about the successes.