Solving the Mystery of the Resume

Can you believe we are now in our fourth week of the s
mester? Time seems to be flying by in Claremont. And as I flip through the dates on my calendar, it suddenly dawns on me how soon deadlines are approaching for applications to summer jobs and internships. Yikes.

But don’t let these deadlines intimidate you! Remember that the job process is a symbiotic process: Yes, you are trying to convince companies that you’ll be a perfect fit in their program. But keep in mind that corporations are also trying to appeal to you. So be picky! Don’t settle for any job. Find something that truly fascinates you, and go get it!

tumblr_lc2gf7gzbt1qaj5jro1_500
This week, I wanted to make more progress in two fields: Find jobs that gaged my interest and fulfilled some personal preferences, and improve (aka create) a comprehensive resume.

Here’s how I found some potential jobs. As I stated last week, I began browsing the web and came across extensive lists of career opportunities and internships for the summer. But aside from job availability, I also have some preferences for where I work and the kind of work I do. I made a table listing these key qualities: The name of the company, the official job description/position, location, duration of work (including weekly hours), pay (or lack thereof), application deadline. By making this list, I felt more comfortable in finding certain positions I wanted, and ruling out deal-breakers. For example, it’s very important for me to live in a city this summer — I’m a big fan of public transportation (admittedly because I cannot drive).

Be picky with your list, but also be reasonable. You aren’t likely going to find a position that fulfills all your preferences, so be flexible and realistic without selling yourself short.

With the deadlines for applications approaching (some as soon as next week!), I knew it was time to update a resume. But how do you even start creating out a resume? I wondered. I’d created one when I first applied to college and then to work at Anthropologie, but that was in high school and my freshman year of college. Clearly, it was time for a makeover.

What should you list when you’re creating a resume? What classes, extracurriculars and qualities will jobs value in an applicant? I turned to HandShake for a little inspiration. In addition to finding great opportunities for summer work, I realized HandShake was the perfect place to refine a resume and send applications directly to companies! I reviewed my profile, where I could add my education and classes, work experience, extracurricular activities, interests and skills.

There are 24 hours in a day. Take away 7-8 hours dedicated to sleep (hopefully), and you’re left with about 17 hours to pursue our educations and interests, find time for friends and take care of ourselves. Keep this in mind when you’re creating your resume. This process might be easiest if you break down your typical weekly schedule. Document how many hours per week you spend doing certain activities, and reflect on If it means something to you and you’re passionate about a cause, show the world! Recount all the awesome things you do to make you you!

Don’t leave anything out. This is an opportunity to present yourself in a great light, and show how involved you are in some great activities! You went to that special speaker series?  You took a leadership course over the summer? Find ways to incorporate these transferable skills into your resume and remember the CP&R Services guide is a great place to start and you can always take advantage of CP&R drop in hours Monday-Friday 10am-5pm to get your resume reviewed.  Companies want to see not only your accomplishments, but also what makes you unique and special. They want to know the person they’re hiring, not just the achievements. So when it comes to your abilities, don’t sell yourself short and show the world what you’re made of!