What will my reflection show?

As we quickly approach the 100 day mark before graduation, I’ve found myself frequently reminiscing about my last 3.5 years at Scripps.  It’s hard to believe that it was nearly five years ago that I first stepped foot on this campus as a prospective student, enchanted by the beautiful campus and academic possibilities.  I am grateful every day that I chose to spend my undergraduate years at Scripps, and I would like to take this post to offer a few pieces of advice to all of the underclasswomen, prospective students, and others.

1. Make the most of your academic career

Some people enter college knowing exactly what they want to study, and some wait until the declaration deadline to finally settle on an academic path.  Regardless of which group you fall into, it’s important to enjoy your classes and make the most of your learning experiences.  Even now, in my senior spring, I’m overloading to take classes that I love.  Most days (well, so far) it doesn’t even feel like too much because I’m so excited about what I’m learning.  That’s a great feeling to have, and I hope that you will feel the same!

1. Love the ones you’re with

One of the main reasons that I have loved my time at Scripps is that I have found my people here.  Without my friends, I would not be who I am today, and I sure hope that they can say the same! Through extracurriculars, classes, mutual friends, jobs, and so many other venues, I have met some of the most inspiring, intelligent, and courageous individuals.  Daily I am reminded what incredible folks live and learn in this space, and I encourage everyone to embrace the communities that we have built here.

1. MAKE MEMORIES!!!

Someday, you could look back on that weird interaction with a Claremont squirrel with a fond sadness and wish that you were back here.  I wish every day that I’d gone to the pool more, blown off a reading to walk down to the village (sorry profs!!), or savored the college moments while they lasted.  But hey, senior year isn’t over yet, so no matter how much time you have left in the city of trees and PhDs, make every moment last a lifetime!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *