Interviews: Answering the “Questions?” Question

The hardest interview question to answer is typically the last one: “Do you have any questions for me?” You always know it’s coming. It used to make me sweat through the whole interview and you might spend the entire interview splitting your focus between responding to the question asked and thinking of a creative question to ask the interviewer. Even if you had thought about a question to ask before coming in, it might have been answered throughout the time you’d been in the office. And to make it more stressful, there’s always the threat of the answer to the question being something you could have easily found on the website.

An article I found on the Muse truly made me think of this concept differently. The article talks about how this interview is just as much of an elimination process for you as it is for the employer. You want to make sure you will fit well in the community, that there’s room for growth—if not valuable experiences to be had, and these are not elements you can simply find on the company’s page.

The Muse stressed questions about company culture and habit. If it’s an inherently demanding job, how do people have lunch? Alone at their desks or in groups? How much turnover is there in the position? How large is the candidate position for the company you’re applying for? Are there frequent work functions that allow you to network with fellow employees in different departments? I highly recommend thinking about what you want in a career or internship position and brainstorm some questions that will tell you a little more about the company itself and the people it attracts. The interviewer will be impressed with your out-of-the-box thinking and hopefully, you will find yourself with a job offer and a career that’s fulfilling and exciting!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *