Key Qualities in a Leader

When I first joined The Student Life (TSL) newspaper as a sports writer during my sophomore year, I had no idea how much the organization would enrich my college experience. I learned about TSL after randomly meeting the paper’s Sports Editor through a ballroom dance class in the Fall of my sophomore year. When I agreed to write, he took me to the office to meet the staff, and was captivated by the camaraderie and collaboration. I started writing for the paper immediately, not only to become part of its fast-paced energy and efficiency, but also to experience and contribute to the palpable unity, respect and kindness expressed between workers.

Office Crew GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

One of the most crucial reasons that TSL felt like a home was because of its excellent leadership. When I took on the Opinions Editor position in the Fall of my junior year, I had the pleasure of working closely with excellent writers and Section Managers. But one of my greatest joys was working with the Editor-In-Chief (EIC), Alexa Strabuk. In the high-stress, high-demand position, Alexa, a Pitzer senior, was unbelievably impressive. She led TSL thoughtfully, coolly, and confidently; everyone could count on her for expertise advice and guidance.

Alexa never ceased to amaze me in her role as EIC, where she worked with over 100 individuals and oversaw every aspect of the newspaper’s weekly production. From editing every article in the News, Opinions, Life & Style, and Sports sections, to designing the paper’s physical layout and managing the budget, Alexa participated in each stage of the process. She was also responsible for leading three weekly senior staff meetings, answering countless emails, and writing for the paper’s Ed Board segment each week. Needless to say, Alexa’s EIC position was nothing short of a full-time job. 

Alexa thrived as TSL‘s leader due to her intellect and insightful, professional demeanor. As a writer and artist, Alexa had a natural gift for journalism. She communicated effortlessly with members of staff to craft substantial articles, entertaining graphics, and clever headlines in a cohesive and well-organized paper. Her wit and thorough work ethic enabled her to approach each task with a creative vision and a concise strategy to create the best product possible.

The TSL staff also gravitated toward Alexa’s balanced and charismatic temperament. By exuding a soothing and serene spirit, Alexa worked carefully with all sections of TSL to combat any conflict with a rational solution. In watching Alexa, I realized that patience and logic were crucial qualities in a great leader, not only in performing their own demanding authoritative duties, but also in reassuring the entire team that together, they could handle anything. But Alexa also led with a welcoming and bubbly spirit: While she asserted herself fairly and firmly in serious moments, she also lit up a room with her smile, optimism, and hilarious puns. People started coming to the office more frequently because she’d created a place where people enjoyed creating great content and bonding with new friends.

When someone asks why I like working for TSL…

But perhaps the most crucial and extraordinary element of Alexa’s leadership style was her remarkable ability to establish meaningful relations with her coworkers. Alexa was one of the kindest people I’d ever met: She truly cared about each member of the team, and provided each staff member with an exceptional level of individualized attention. No matter the question or the time of day, Alexa always found a way to meet with her staff and understand their perspectives. Having such close and personal interactions with Alexa made every individual feel supported, because she reaffirmed that their contribution to the paper was significant. Thus, the staff saw Alexa as more than a great leader: She was also a great friend who inspired each person to put their best foot forward.

From watching Alexa, I discovered that good leaders truly make all the difference in establishing healthy, productive and fun team environments. That semester, TSL’s positive dynamic and supportive atmosphere derived directly from Alexa. I hope that when given a leadership position, I can embody a fraction of her composure, compassion, and dedication.

Here’s to you, Alexa!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *