Above and Beyond the Elms

“The paramount obligation of a college is to develop in its students the ability to think clearly and independently, and the ability to live confidently, courageously, and hopefully.” – Ellen Browning Scripps

While at Scripps, I passed by these words inscribed on Honnold-Mudd Gate everyday, on my walk from Garrison after practicing or rehearsals back to my dorm. I remember first reading them on move in day, my parents carrying boxes with my through that very gate to Toll before we took photos in front of the stone plaques. I read the words as plainly as I did any other outdoor signs. I did not realize it then, but I had a role to carry these words with me and live out their meaning, as a student in learning and growing at Scripps and now as an alumna after crossing again through Denison’s doors.

In times of life transition, Scripps’ motto, Incipit Vita Nova, is a mantra I hold close. During move in and my first few weeks at Scripps, I was living in the past, not fully taking advantage of this new community I was now a part of. When I acted upon any plans or goals for my future, I became overwhelmed and stunted myself from growing. Slowly but surely, thinking here begins new life, I took the small steps to invest in my experience and truly make Scripps feel like my community, my home.

In my move to DC after graduation, I held the words “here begins new life” close, again taking small steps to writing a new chapter of my journey. Many of the same worries I had moving into college resonated in my move after graduation, with different context. But this time, I had an incredibly rich experience, full of depth and times of character testing, my time at Scripps. This time, my expeirence helped me navigate a cross-country move, new jobs, and new relationships. I hadn’t realized it yet, but this was just one instance of the beginning of my Scripps experience’s lasting empowerment as an alumna.

Since graduating, I’ve stayed connected to the Scripps community and student body in what little ways I can, from volunteering as an alumna interviewer in the DC area for a second year to writing letters for incoming students. Earlier this month I went to a Scripps incoming student reception in Arlington, Virginia. Even as a recent graduate, it truly is inspiring to interact with current, prospective, and incoming students. It is wonderful to interact with new students and their families. It gives me such hope for the future of Scripps, to see what all these driven and talented students will accomplish on campus and beyond. Our community is special, it is close knit and it is empowering.

New students, recent grads, and alumnae alike, Scripps is an empowering experience. There are things about it that you will discover you do not agree with or think that should change, but your classmates, peers, community, will empower you with the action to create change. There are times when campus life and everyone around you will look like a veil of catalouge perfect happiness when you are not, but the experience will still make you genuinely vulnerable as a trait of true strength and resilience. There are times when self-doubt stifles our own growth, but some aspects of our Scripps experience will shed light in our darkest hours, telling us, you can do it.

After graduating, I have always carried with me all the ways I’ve grown at Scripps, from which I have only grown stronger and more resilient with a clearer view of my values in life’s fluidity. Whether you are just beginning your journey at Scripps or have since graduated and forged a new path, I encourage you to hold close Ellen Browning Scripps words to think clearly and independently and life live confidently, courageously, and hopefully above and beyond the elms.

Thank you for reading and joining me as a guest blogger this summer! A big thank you to the CP&R team for allowing me this opportunity. Remember to stay tuned for new posts from the Fall 2017 bloggers!