Reflecting and Correcting

As I head into my second set of midterms I begin to feel everything slipping away: organization, motivation, sense of direction, health, etc.

As I try to keep everything in check, I know that it is important to keep organized. To me, this means actively keeping my planner updated, eating meals consistently, keeping my room cleaned, and completing assignments.

Sometimes this is really hard for me. Right now, in particular, my future seems fuzzy. The time is coming for me to make some decisions about what I want to do, and for the first time in my life, I feel unsure. What do I want to major in? What kind of career do I want? What am I even good at doing? I wish that somebody what just tell me what to do and what my purpose is supposed to be. The hardest part is that I know that the things and life that I want right now might not necessarily be available to me ten years down the line.

For now, I have to push this feeling aside and make it through the semester. It is frustrating and sad to do this though. I hate feeling like I need to “just make it through this week” and then things will settle down and be better. The push gets harder and harder and it’s like I am living in a perpetual countdown. ___ days until this exam, ___ days until Thanksgiving Break, ___ days until such and such is due. How many days before I get all of this figured out?

I want to set goals so that I can stay on top of things and not feel so behind. It seems more organized to wait until the start of next semester. But then again, why wait? Perhaps it would be more efficient to look back to the goals that I set at the beginning of the semester. Some of these I have definitely achieved. Others need some work.

Ultimately, I think that it is important to reflect on these goals. Even if your thoughts are not entirely organized, it’s okay! Just get them out there and use them as a review of how you are feeling about your career path day-to-day. Whether you are looking back (or forward) on the semester, let it out!

Do you ever find yourself in this place? Any advice? Comment below!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *