Identifying Areas of Strength and Motivation

In general, I think we tend to think about what we like and don’t like in terms of subjects. But we often don’t consider why we like certain tasks and topics.  Why do we gravitate towards some activities over others?  I think a lot of it has to do with our strengths and what we are motivated by.  Sometimes it’s hard to talk about our strengths, I know it is for me.  But recognizing what you’re good at is important because it can help you find direction in your path or reaffirm your decision to embark on the path you’ve chosen.

Whenever I am talking with people, especially during introductions, I always like to ask first what they do, what their field of study is, or their favorite subject.  It’s a question that is usually easy for people to answer because the answer is something they feel confident in.  I then like to ask why they like what they do and I find the answer tends to elicit responses that reveal a lot about a person.  It reveals their strengths and intrinsic motivations.  Do they love creating tangible things or discovering fundamental truths about the world?  Do they like to create order in out of chaos or disrupt previous ways of thinking?

For example my answer to this question is first I am interested in film development and arts administration.  I am interested in this field because it blends things I love: the arts and creating exciting experiences for audiences.  I also like mentoring people and bringing talented people together to create big, wonderful things.  I love fostering others creativity and I am good at organizing large projects.  Knowing these things about myself helps me clarify and refine my career goals.  If you are lost or looking for direction, I would always suggesting going back to the things in life that make you really excited and then asking yourself why you like these things.  Finding a career that contains elements of activities that you really enjoy will help you love it day in and day out.

Motivational GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *