Staying on the (Shoveled) Path over Break

After what seems like a simultaneously years long semester and one that flew by in three seconds, winter break if finally here (yay!). It will be the first time this semester when I will be able to go back to Minnesota to see friends and family in person, though one of my friends did come to visit as a Scripps prospie. This is by far the longest time I’ve been away from home, and I am looking forward to flying back to the beautiful snow and holiday cheer. Flying back to the cold is debatable… I’ll get used to it again eventually.

After a busy semester, it’s always good to take a bit of a break. I know I’ll be doing some sledding with my friends as well as spending time with my family. My sister and I have one or two dramas to watch over break already… I know I’ll stop by my high school too to see some of my former teachers. It’ll be fun to re-acquaint myself with not only changes around the house, but also the city and fins out new things that my friends are up to.

Just because it will be break doesn’t mean I’ll be stopping my work. I likely will try to get ahead on Korean vocabulary for second semester and do some hours of work at the floral shop again (note to self, ask my boss to put me on the schedule over break). Aside from that, I hope to look into jobs for the summer in case I do not end up traveling. The big question for me is if I want to stick with my current position at the floral shop, move up in jobs within that grocery store, start a second part time job, or begin a new job more relevant to my career interests.

I have put in a little but of thought to this up until now, but with few results. It would be really neat to shadow or do a (paid?) internship where I could learn about interpreting. I know that at the Mayo Clinic there are medical interpreters, but I would have to look and see what sort of lower level opportunities they offer through that department, if any. The school district or local education systems may have something as well. but I’d have to look and see.

Either way, I’ll be busy relaxing and working over break. It’ll be nice to be home, even if it means wearing a heavy coat and mittens every time I leave the house.