Managing Deadline Stress

In the last week I have found myself extremely stressed about upcoming internship deadlines.  This stress comes amidst looming paper deadlines and the stress that comes from the semester hitting its stride.  The endless applications and emails to send out have been especially weighing.  It happens every year but it doesn’t mean it’s any less difficult. Entertainment specifically is stressful because its application process comes late.  With summer rapidly approaching, it’s hard not knowing what your plans are.  Here are a few things I am trying to remember to do as deadlines become more stressful.

Break up larger tasks:

I find that I am most stressed when I think about all I should accomplish in its totality.  That looming to-do list leads to needless anxiety.  It has been helpful to break down the bigger tasks into more manageable parts.  You can only do so much at once.  Accomplishing a specific, small goal towards a larger task gives you a sense of satisfaction.  And during stressful times, it can be a much-needed boost.

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Mix up your to-do’s:

Writing cover letters for hours on end is not only monotonous but can be counterproductive.  I have found that I do my best work on tasks in small bursts, as inspiration strikes.  When I sit down to be “productive” I have a small list of tasks to complete.  As I lose interest in one, I immediately have something else to turn to.  That way I am still productive while giving my brain time to think of the right bullet point on a resume or turn of phrase for a cover letter.  This prevents working time from getting to monotonous.

To Do List Nothing GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants - Find & Share on GIPHY

Breathe:

The best thing you can do is to take a deep breath.  It will all work out one way or another and while doing something about the future is good, stressing needlessly is counterproductive.

Breathe In Help GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Although times can get tough, there are manageable things you can do to accomplish all you set your mind to!

Great Success Win GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *