Time’s Up

While I enjoy writing lighthearted posts filled with glorious gifs, something more serious has been weighing on my mind.  Even though disturbing allegations have been made against powerful people have in multiple industries, the entertainment business has been hit hard, with many previously seeming untouchable individuals falling under scandal.  As a young woman who wants to work in entertainment, it has been both inspiring and concerning to see all that has happened so far. 

I count myself lucky that I have had very positive experiences so far because not everyone has.  This is an industry that prides itself on having people start from the bottom so they can work their way up.  This culture has bread unhealthy power dynamics between superiors and employees.  This has led to people being put in unacceptable situations and has foster a culture of silence. You constantly hear how hard it is to work in this industry like it is a badge of honor.  But why do we have to go into this business expecting long hours, initial low pay, and uncomfortable situations? 

I am not exactly saying anything new here but I wanted to comment from my perspective.  I am worried and I am scared.  I often question why I am choosing to enter this business, now of all times.  But it is the wonderful and supportive people I have met that, at least for now, make it seem like something I want to keep trying to do.  To all that work tirelessly in this business and beyond, thank you for your work and your courage.  I hope to join you soon in making this industry with a checkered past more equitable for all.

Grammy Awards 60Th Grammys GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs - Find & Share on GIPHY