Hitting My Stride

Over winter break, I took some time to reflect upon my first semester at Scripps. I had many accomplishments to be proud of such as getting a job on campus at the Office of Parent Engagement, being placed on the Dean’s List, joining the Scripps Economic Society, and meeting amazing and loving friends. Yet despite these accomplishments, I had a nagging feeling that I had stayed within my comfort zone, and did not push myself to my fullest potential.

Going into the second semester, I was on a mission to truly fulfill my potential. In my first week back on campus, I spent hours on Handshake looking at summer internships, applied to be a CP&R blogger, and applied and interviewed for the position of Development Manager at The Student Life (TSL). I was delighted to be chosen both to be a CP&R blogger and Development Manager for TSL. I was ecstatic that I would have more on my plate this semester but also concerned whether I could truly do it all.

With six weeks of the semester now complete, I am realizing that I am capable of more than I thought I was in my first semester, and that I can thrive beyond my initial comfort zone. This semester, I am busier than I have ever been, yet am truly passionate about the classes, jobs, and extracurricular activities that fill my hours and my days. Blogging for CP&R has given me a great outlet for self-reflection, fueled my interest in my future potential career, and connected me with CP&R staff. Working for TSL has enabled me to forge partnerships across the 5C’s with admissions offices, parent relations offices, professors, deans, and alumni. Searching for a summer internship has allowed me to connect with 5C alumni and CP&R staff in order to find, interview with, and receive an offer from the best possible internship for me.

Looking back at my first semester at Scripps, I realize that while I pushed myself in some ways, I was careful to stay in my comfort zone. I did not challenge myself to make connections beyond my everyday interactions, or take advantage of all that the 5C community has to offer. This semester, I feel like I have hit my stride. I am proud of my accomplishments. Most importantly, I feel truly immersed in the 5C community. Every role that I have taken has given me the opportunity to develop relationships with 5C alumni, faculty, staff, and students.  With each new relationship, I feel more and more a part of this amazing community. I realize that the more I contribute to the community, the more I get out of it, and the more I feel truly a part of it. Based on my experience this year, my one piece of advice for new college students is to take risks, try out, apply, engage, and connect. The more you do, the more you will feel that you truly belong.

What is one piece of advice you would give to incoming first-years?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *