Spring Break Musings

I’m not sure about all of you guys, but it’s been a bit of a crazy semester. Second semesters are always a little harder than the first. I have to say, it feels wonderful to have a break (mostly) without schoolwork.

Even without schoolwork, there are always plenty of things to think about. From when Leslie Knope’s park will get built (I’m late to “Parks and Recreation” but I love it, I’ve been watching a fair amount of it over break) to getting ahead on course readings to (more) job applications.

My theory is that Ben and Leslie will date at some point (no spoilers please!)

From what I heard, the summer after one’s first year is the hardest for finding jobs. We’re young, we haven’t been in college for long, and we may not have much experience in out majors (if we have one!).Even so, a high level of motivation and patience are strong assets to the process, whether or not you score your dream internship.

This afternoon I spent some time looking at some job links on Indeed and clicked around for keywords and for locations that I want to be in. For this summer I’ll want to be closer to home, but who knows about years in the future. I’m hoping to end up in Minneapolis-St. Paul or my hometown. I have family and friends in the cities so it’d be a fun place to try living for a few months.

I’ve also expanded my job search criteria. Before I was mainly looking at marketing or copywriting related work, but I’m also looking at journalism, legal, subtitling/translation, tutoring, and copy editing. While I was paging through, I’d see an amazing job from time to time that was for post-grad only, which was a bummer, but I know I’ll be there soon enough. 🙂

There were also a few results for Spanish tutors that we strangely vague, but hopefully not sketchy. Maybe I’ll ask my dad about those…After widening my search criteria I found many more positions. Especially considering that I’m only looking at one site, my results have been more than satisfactory. With some of the time I have left, I look forward to doing more work on applications and (hopefully) hearing back from prospective employers in the near future.

Things may not work out perfectly, but I’m doing all I can to make it work.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *