I Know Things Now that Help with Applications

0Have we only been back at school for a week? I feel like I have been on a high-speed rail train for the last couple of days. Homework, Midsummer Rehearsal, and my work schedule all picked up immediately.

Why just have three things pick up when internship deadline could be due at the same time?

This is what I think universities and jobs all asked themselves when this schedule was made. I am very excited for all of the opportunities that I am applying to because I only wanted to apply to things I was genuinely interested in.

However, worry not friends, I have come up with some great ideas to make application season, not a breeze (but manageable).

I have two different resumes (one for technical theater work and one for management). With two different fields, it is difficult to remember where I worked and what I did at each position. Currently, I have a word document that I can update that lists all of the jobs and internships that I have completed or are ongoing.

Every resume that we craft as students need to have the position, the time we spent in that role, and the duties that we completed there. Making a master document with this history makes it so much easier to craft a resume for a position. Before I lost so much time trying to remember and now I can just copy and paste the positions into a new document.

The resume is the easy part. The cover letter is a whole other beast. 

Each time I go to write a cover letter I google ‘scripps college cover letters’ to find the Scripps College Career Services Guide. Each time I have to write a cover letter, I use the cover letter in the book to guide me. I use the checklist to ensure that I do not forget anything and put my best foot forward.

Finally, the most important piece of advice that I can give. If possible, do not apply for positions that you do not want. The application process is already long enough and it will feel even longer if you attempt to sound interested in a job that sounds, for lack of a better word, hell.

You only have so much time to try out internships and jobs, do not waste that time doing things you think you have to do. Do not fill your summer with dread. Enjoy yourself.

But until then, good luck with the rest of the semester.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *