Why Blog?

Back in January, I filled out an application for one of the Beyond The Elms Blogger positions.

But Why?

I decided to apply for the blogger position because I wanted to be involved in the CP&R office. In addition, this last semester has been a whirlwind since I was coming up with what I wanted to major in. I saw this as an opportunity to work on media skills and getting thoughts onto paper in an interesting way. It is a small time commitment every week and it is another deadline, but I did want to put myself out there. When I first applied, I was on the 3-2 track to be an Engineering major with some kind of theatre major tacked on. After I realized that I did not want to do that anymore, I was slightly confused in my path. Close to the end of last semester, I was zoning in on an Organizational Studies and Theatre double major, which is perfect for me right now. I thought it would be fun to write about my experience and get a glimpse of the blogger life.

What Have I Learned?

Now in this position for a semester, I have learned so much. This position has required me to actively think about my career, since I want to make it compelling for my weekly posts. I have learned various tactics to make my writing interesting and think that this would be such an interesting thing to continue to do. For the longest time, I wanted to be a blogger and never knew what to do first. I would have to market myself, but just writing is the first step for all of that. In addition, employers find the position interesting and have asked about it when I went to interviews. It is a skill that is definitely marketable for the job market. Finally, when we get the weekly email about when our posts will be live from Rachael Acello, we hear about the opportunities happening at the office. It is nice knowing each week what is happening at the career office.

Should You?

I think it is something that everyone should look into because the time commitment is reasonable, it holds you accountable to stay on top of your own career development and it’s nice having connections to  Career Planning &Resources staff. . If you are interested, then I urge you to apply when applications roll around. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *