“Expectations” of Summer

Summer has come and gone.

Since we’ve been back, you have probably heard about everyone’s amazing adventures traveling the global or at their internships. I applaud all of those who were able to do both of those things and more, however, I want to speak to those who feel like they are falling behind or did not do what they were expected to do with their summer.

I am currently a Junior, and as I reflect, realize that I felt pressure to take summer courses or have an internship. In response to that pressure, I attempted to sign up for many summer courses, lined up an internship in Pasadena, and I had received the announcement that I was going to be one of the SOAR coordinators last summer. As an individual, who despises free time because I hate being stagnant I thought this was a good thing…

But slowly, it became clear that my brilliant summer plans were too difficult to pull together. The courses I wanted to take were not going to be offered for this summer term, my Pasadena internship wanted me in office full time, and I needed to work at least 4 hours a day here at Scripps in my SOAR  coordinator role. It was overwhelming and very upsetting that I was not going to have the chance to do all the things I wanted to do. At the end of the day, I had to make some decisions, I choose to work at Scripps and plan the orientation trips for the incoming class of new students (which I hope worked out and everyone had fun!)

At the beginning of summer, I was disappointed that my internship and my summer courses did not work out. For weeks, I complained about only working 4 hours and not feeling productive because I could be doing more. Looking back, I can tell you I am so glad that everything else in my summer did not work out. Instead of always working and running from place to place; I was given the chance to relax.

….Relax…

Such a funny concept while you are a college student. Instead of running around from 9am until 11pm like I do during the year. I work from 10am to 2pm and after I hung out with my friends to watch anime. Everything was chill and nothing was expected of me. During the summer, I learned that stopping or taking a break does not equal failing.

As a first-gen student of color, during moments of silence, there is an uneasy feeling for me because I think that I am not doing enough to propel myself forward. This past summer, I learned that taking it easy and having space in my schedule is not a bad thing. Times to recharge are necessary, and even deserved. A challenge for me, that I will in turn propose to all of you, is: take time for yourself, even schedule free time or just be spontaneous and worry about it later. Experiment and see what happens. You might even enjoy it.

I believe in all of you. So let’s take a breath in and let it out.