Why You Should Target Your Cover Letters and Resumes

Trust me, I know. This is by far the worst part of applying to internships, but it’s also the most important. It can take a lot of time, but you need to tailor your cover letter and resume to each internship. A generic cover letter especially works against you. It tells you prospective employer that you’re not invested in getting this position. More subtly, a generic resume works against you because you’re not framing yourself as a good candidate for THIS position.

Don't be like Paris! Patience is key :)

Don’t be like Paris! Patience is key 🙂

Essentially, any time you don’t target your cover letters and resumes, you’re losing the opportunity to show yourself and your skills in the best light. It may take time, but it’s worth it. A targeted cover letter is a great way to showcase your interests and elaborate upon your skills and experiences. You can easily be in dialogue with the HR department’s description of the position you’re applying for—use their language and show exactly how you fit. I like to split my cover letters into 4 parts—a similar format helps me feel like I’m not entirely starting from scratch every time. In the first part, I talk about why I am interested in that company/career path, then what I will gain from the position, then what I can bring to the position, and finally a short summary and space to thank them for their time and consideration.

Your structure can vary, of course, but it is good to have a format that you know works to convey why you want the position, what it will offer you, and what you can offer the organization. Recently, I have been applying to internships in criminal law—with firms and advocacy groups—and expressing my passion for law and my interest in minors in the criminal justice system has been helping me get interviews. I’ve even had a couple organizations pass my information along for different positions, so you never know what could happen!

The places you're applying to shouldn't have to ask who you are. Tell them!

The places you’re applying to shouldn’t have to ask who you are. Tell them!

It may seem less obvious that targeting your resumes could be important. Of course you should target a cover letter to a position, but why bother rearranging your resume? It can actually show you in a really positive light. If a potential employer is scanning hundreds of resumes, doesn’t it make sense to organize your resume so that they can automatically see why you’re qualified? A resume that is tailored to the position and what it requires can allow you to stand out. Especially if you don’t have a contact, standing out and showing interest in the position is essential. You always want to put your best foot forward during the application process, even if it takes more time