Just Keep Swimming

Right now, I’m taking my inspiration from Dory. I’m in 5 classes, 1 CLORG, write for 2 publications, work as a manager for Scripps College Phonathon, and am applying for internships and study abroad. Each piece of every day isn’t unmanageable, but boy do I feel like drowning sometimes from the constant work. As it’s the week before spring break, I’m sure I’m not the only Scripps student who feels like she’s swimming against the current!! So I’m going to be like Dory and swim at my own pace and keep at it. Obviously, if you’re swamped and need to say good-bye to some activities or commitments, that’s a completely valid choice.

Accurate.

Accurate.

I, however, have decided that I love everything that I’m doing and that I won’t be cutting out activities or a 5th class to have more free time. Will I ever overload again? Hopefully NOT, but I do love all my classes and my professors are all great. “Just keep swimming” doesn’t mean overextend yourself or flail until you get some air. To me, it means: keep working at what you’re doing and don’t let yourself or jellyfish or anything else get in the way of you doing what you love.

KeepSwimmingWhen I have a lot to do, I tend to get overwhelmed and shut down and I certainly don’t keep up with my applications. But I have been trying to combat that this semester by making a lot of to-do lists and prioritizing my internship search even when it’s hard. There is always time, but sometimes you have to just be steady and persistent and make time for what you need to do. With 6 papers in one week, it’s hard to remember to write cover letters and fill out applications, but sometimes your schoolwork and internship search overlap. I’ve found that making lists and staying organized allow me to keep swimming. It may seem counterintuitive, but I would advise going to CP&R if you’re feeling overwhelmed and like you don’t know how to make time for your internship search. It may seem like you can’t take the time out of your day to go to an appointment or drop-in hours, but really it allows you to be more efficient.

Dory

Follow this list!

So let’s list what you can do to keep swimming because we all know that’s what I’m good for:

1. Remember to breathe. Not breathing is clearly a bad plan in the first place, but remember to give yourself breaks and maybe a Motley drink or two to relax.
  2. Go talk to CP&R and make a plan. Why just make a plan when you can get expert advice on your plan?
  3. Keep up with your to-do lists. Once you’ve laid out what you have to do, it’s important to make sure that you’re keeping up with that and initiating your plan.
  4. Have a set time for internship applications. It’s sometimes hard to do, but this makes sure you’re applying AND not using applications as procrastination *I see you not finishing your essay while writing that cover letter*
  5. Apply to positions that motivate you. If you’re excited about the opportunity, chances are that you will want to apply for it.

Whale2

Try speaking whale in your next interview! It’ll work woooooondeeerrrrrrrssss!

Remember to stay positive and keep swimming! That doesn’t mean go as fast as possible, but just to keep working at your own pace. The internship search can feel very daunting–especially as it is later in the game–but try to remember that internships are cool opportunities for you to take advantage of!! Keep swimming and I’ll report back on my swim next week 😉