Accepting Rejection

Over the weekend, I was knee-deep in the process of applying to internships. I was holding out for one particular opportunity, and had had the honor of moving on to the daunting interview phase. The company asked that I record responses to three on-the-spot questions. Each prompt allowed only a minute-long response. Although I found the task intimidating, I was excited for the challenge.

http://giphy.com/gifs/fangirling-excited-8FRRpafSXxL6E

Once I submitted my responses, I couldn’t help but feel positive about my chances of getting the position. I’d stayed composed and concise in the videos, and I felt confident in my resume and cover letter. I’d be hearing the results in the following week. Though I tried not to stayed glued to my computer, I couldn’t help but await the inevitable email.

Just three hours after sending the videos, the company emailed me. That was fast, I thought. Surely, that must mean there’s good news! But it wasn’t. The company was no longer interested in considering me as a candidate.

Sad A Christmas Story GIF by filmeditor - Find & Share on GIPHY

My heart sank, and I immediately started criticizing myself and doubting my potential. What did I do wrong? I wondered. What did I say that would make the company reconsider? I spiraled even further: Am I pursuing the right career path? Should I even be an Economics major?

Devastated by the news, I called the one person who could make me feel better: My mom. Naturally, she was sorry to hear the rejection. She’d known how much I’d wanted the position, and understood that it was difficult not to take the results personally.

What my mom would not accept was when I started feeling sorry for myself. She demanded I pick myself up, and told me not to think about this denial any longer. “Think of all the other people who applied for the job,” she reminded me. “Think of how many people also received this email.”

This interpretation really put the results into perspective. I couldn’t help but feel a little better, knowing that I wasn’t the only person who had EVER gotten rejected.

http://giphy.com/gifs/stay-strong-ixOwDxHsN7VHq

My mom understood why I felt upset, hurt, and in some sense, even a little angry. That wasn’t the problem; in fact, it was a good thing, she said. What was the problem was how I was utilizing that energy: Instead of obsessing over this one position, I could have been been proactive by looking for opportunities that were even better. It was totally fine to be emotionally charged, as long as I used this emotion to enhance my future internship quests.

I also found it helpful to think back to times when I’d previously experienced some form of denial. I pictured one of the first times I’d ever experienced rejection was when I didn’t get the role in my middle school. As the most heartbreaking moment in my pre-teen life, I considered giving up acting and singing for good.

At the time, this rejection felt feel like the end of the world. And naturally, it took a while to heal from the sting (I was a very dramatic sixth grader). But my parents urged me not to quit. Just because this play hadn’t swung in my favor didn’t mean I’d never get a part again. They were right: I kept working and kept auditioning, so that I could prepare better for future roles. Sure enough, I was one of the leads the following year.

I’m not sharing this story to glorify my pre-teen dreams of acting and singing. Even in moments of rejection, when things seem bleak, I challenge you to flip the script. Instead of dwelling over what could have been, think of all the amazing things you did to get that far. Be proud of the fact that you took a risk. By using rejection as a learning opportunity rather than internalizing it as a failure, we can be more productive and proactive human beings.