How Navigate the Job Market: A Brief Guide for Transgender People

For my first blog post as a CP&R blogger, I wrote about what it’s like to be a transgender person trying to get dressed for a job interview, and shared some of my own experiences and anxieties about the process. Since then, I’ve talked to some of my transgender friends, and they’ve shared some tips on how to navigate the job market as a college-age trans person. Here are some of the questions I asked, and how my friends answered them!

(Note that all of these people will be kept anonymous.)

• If you want to be out to a potential employer, should you disclose that you’re trans at your interview? The people I asked agreed that no, probably not, because it can get awkward if you come out face-to-face. However, one of them shared with me that it can be a good idea to put your preferred name and pronouns in a cover letter, even if a cover letter isn’t required for the application. “It’s easier to deal with an interview if you’ve already put your cards on the table in a cover letter,” they said. I’d add that this is probably a good strategy if you know the company is LGBT-friendly and also if you are nonbinary/genderqueer or you are frequently perceived as the wrong gender.
  • How do you structure a cover letter in which you come out to your employer? Do you lead with the information or save it for the end? My friend advised me to save it for the end of the letter. “You don’t want to shock them right off the bat or anything,” they said, and laughed. I agree with this strategy; however, if you’re really concerned that you might shock your potential employer with your gender, you might want to investigate other companies or evaluate whether or not you want to come out to them. Always be safe.
  • How do you handle it if your name isn’t changed legally? “You don’t actually need to use your legal name in your cover letter, app, or resume,” another of my friends shared with me. “Your legal name is really only needed for a background check once you’re hired. You don’t have to lead with it if you don’t want to.” I think this is a good idea if you don’t have your name and/or gender marker changed legally, but you are read as your correct gender.
  • What are some tips for staying under the radar if you really want a job but you also really don’t want to come out as trans to that potential employer? Before I get into what my friends said, I’d like to add that that’s totally fine. It’s always your choice. You aren’t a “bad trans person” or  a “coward” if you don’t want to be out. But to share what my friends said: they advised to be careful about what you’re putting on your resume. If you’ve done work in the LGBT community, like with LGBT nonprofits and school organizations, consider whether you want to put that on your resume–if you’re really concerned about an employer being “suspicious.” Or make sure to frame it by sharing that you’re an “ally” rather than a member of the LGBT community.
  • Do you have any other wisdom to share about being trans in the job market? “Keep track of what laws are changing now,” one of my friends said, “always know your rights.” Especially now that we have a new president, you should always know the ins and outs of gender discrimination laws. In my opinion, you should always play it safe: if it feels better to be stealth, be stealth. If you feel safer dressing as your assigned gender and going by your legal name, do that. Do what makes you feel comfortable, and keep an eye on your surroundings to make sure that you’re being safe.