On a lack of response

A few days ago I sent off another application by email, and I have not yet heard anything in response.  The first time I received no response from a non-profit, it was for the understandable reason that they had already hired someone.  That particular assumption seems fairly safe, considering that they took down the job posting the next morning and didn’t respond to my email application.

Since the remaining non-profits still have their job postings up on their websites and idealist.org, I’m left wondering what it means that I have not yet received a response to my application.  It could mean they filled the position and simply haven’t taken the posting down.  Or it could mean they are in the middle of going through the applications they have received and haven’t taken down the posting because of institutional policy (as far as I know, it isn’t uncommon to leave a posting up as long as the post is technically open.)

Then there are the slightly more nerve-wracking possibilities, including the possibility that they decided my skills don’t fit their needs (horror!) or that my application got lost in the shuffle of day-to-day business at the non-profit.  I don’t know which unsettles me more, but it is probably unhelpful to speculate on the possibilities without talking to them.

Which, of course, brings up the question of the etiquette indicated when contacting people I have sent my applications to: how do I contact them?  If the posting says “No calls, please” it seems pretty clear that I should not make use of a phone.  But the ones that don’t have that particular request…I’m unsure how to engage.  It’s likely I should call, concentrating on not talking too quickly to be understood.  Do I ask, “I recently applied for [this position], and was wondering if you had received my application?” or “I recently applied for [that position] and was wondering about the status of my application?”

The entire situation is complicated by the fact that if I contact them too soon after submitting my application, I run the risk of looking desperate, which is not the most attractive trait in an applicant.  Were I in a position where I was looking for an employee for my non-profit, I certainly wouldn’t want someone who was desperate—with their motivation suspect, I wouldn’t have much faith in their commitment to the mission of the non-profit or institution.*

But if they have lost my application or are waffling on me as an applicant, contact can positively affect my position and show off that I’m relatively personable and know how to use the internet to find contact information.  And that I’m quite interested in the position.  I suppose it’s really about timing and attitude, really.  What I do know is that wistfully staring at my inbox is probably not likely to send psychic “Hire this one!” messages.

*Which is why I’m only working on applications for organizations that have missions I can connect with, despite my desire to find employment in Boston.