It is so cold in Portland right now

Apparently I’m somewhat fixated on the weather, but it has been cold here to the point of unreality—at least, it feels unbelievably cold as I sail downhill on my bicycle.

I have had a dull couple of weeks; a few hiccups in the unpaid internship that have been very revealing and informative about how to go about setting up a good dynamic with the people I work with, especially the line between jocularity and hostility. Also, I am excited that I could use the word “jocularity” in a sentence without sounding completely ridiculous.

Onto equally vague but more cheerful news: as I was deciding whatvariety of cupcake a dutiful offspring might bake for a parent’s birthday, I received an email from a friend that works in the same office as I do, about an open development position. She had received the email from one of the social justice non-profit organizations she worked with over the summer, and forwarded it to me.

Of course, earlier that week, I met the director of said organization in an elevator with a bicycle, and given the following conditions:

a) Sleepy

b) Frozen into a person-shaped icicle by a 12 mile bike ride in 34 degree weather with 20 mph gusts

c) Being me

I, of course, neglected to introduce myself.

I feel like I can see Valinda bringing her hand to her forehead, and shaking her head side-to-side slowly and unbelievingly. At least, that’s what I wanted to do once I sat down with a cup of coffee and my 1800-piece auction solicitation mailing, even before I knew they had an opening.

The position has quite a bit of event planning, which gave me pause before I started thinking about it. I chatted with my friend E* and one of my awesome former boss-folks who reassured me that this was definitely something I could do. And looking at my resume and remembering that I have done programming and some event planning, as an RA, worker in the Annual Fund and as an alumna volunteer, the event-planning component seemed far less intimidating.

Plus, one of the responsibilities of the position involves mailings, and I have a somewhat abnormal love for managing mailings and managing data.

Admittedly, after five hours of papercuts, my abnormal love is being somewhat taxed by this enormous auction solicitation mailing.

*The one that worked at the college that sent me the information for the open position in California

One thought on “It is so cold in Portland right now

1. i’m sorry it’s so cold. I think that your response to the weather is a sign that you’ve spent too much time in California. Anyway, keep it up Karyn. I BELIEVE IN YOU!!!
    Also, there’s nothing wrong with “c”, being you. So don’t stress out about what the director of that nonprofit thought about you.