‘Twas the Night

‘Twas the night before the interview,

And all through my house

Not a creature was stirring

Except for my mouse (computer, that is).

I know one of the most important preparations for an interview is a good nights rest, but I just couldn’t seem to fall asleep.  The perfect cocktail of excitement and nervousness got me out of my bed and Google searching “Helpful Interview Tips” and thinking back to past interview experiences.

At school I did a few mock interviews in the CP&R office.  I’ll admit that it was super uncomfortable to see myself being played back on video in the office, but it was one of those things that has been invaluable to my job search.  It’s always helpful to think back about those difficult questions like, “what are your best and worst qualities?”  Although each interview and interviewer is going to be different, it’s always great to have answers difficult questions hidden away in your back pocket.

Another good thing to store away in your arsenal is a set of questions to ask your interviewers.  Whether it’s about the company in general or the position, it’s in my experience that interviewers always appreciate your interest in both.  Awhile back, one of the websites I love, SavySugar, posted tips called “Ask your job interviewer This, not That” and I bookmarked it in hopes of one day actually having an interview. http://www.savvysugar.com/4138449 Turns out, it has come in handy!

My interview clothes were hung from a hanger with care,

In hopes that the next day I’d have time to do my hair.

I was nestled all snug in my bed

While interview questions danced in my head.

The next morning I arose with a clatter

I had to get ready for my interview chatter!

My interview was at the company’s office, which is about a 45-minute drive from my house without traffic.  The interview was at 2:30 and I left my house at about 1.  Crazy?  Maybe.  At least I knew I would be there in time.  I’ve been told that it’s an absolute job death knell to be late to an interview.

I got to the office about half an hour early, but I know it’s advised against getting there too early (I think about 10-15 minutes early is generally the max.).  So I played, what I like to call, the “waiting in the car game,” in which a true winner reads a book with one eye and watches the clock with the other.  I left the car about 5 minutes before 2:30 and I checked in at the reception desk right on time.

Before hand, the company sent me information about my interview including forms to fill out, what to wear, how long to expect to be at the interview, etc.  I knew going in that my interview was technically three different interviews with executive admins for half an hour each.  My first interviewer was great.  She told me that this particular interview was supposed to be more like a conversation.  She wanted to get to know me and see how I would fit into the admin team and vice versa; she wanted me to ask all the questions I wanted.  She did ask me about my experiences listed on my resume.  She’s also the executive admin in the department that I had applied for, so I got to ask her about the department and what the day to day would be like.

I think that at one point in the beginning of the interview it really hit me what was happening.  After months of ignored job applications, I was finally sitting in my first official interview for a job that I really wanted.  I got nervous.  My heart started to race, my voice started to shake.  My interviewer definitely knew how I was feeling.  Another interviewer might think of it as a sign of weakness, but this interviewer was incredibly nice.  She told me that she knew I was feeling nervous, but that she just wanted to get to know me.  She really helped me to refocus and to recognize that I only had a limited amount of time to get across who I really am and why I’m a great candidate for the job.

The next two interviews were even better.  I was feeling more confident and I think I was able to express who I am and what I could do in the position.  Also, it was a good thing that I studied up on my answers because she DID ask the “what is your worst quality?” question.  My answer: I’m just TOO awesome (kidding!).

After the interview:

I sprang to my car, and then honked the horn

The interview went well, I could have sworn.

They called the next day, much to my delight

I have a second interview and my future looks bright!

(more to come…)