Getting Started

Question: How do you search for post-Scripps opportunities if you are absolutely certain that you are clueless about what you want to do?

Start with reevaluating how clueless you are. For example, I have a long list of things I know I don’t want to do. Med school? Not for me. Financial consultant? Unlikely. Computer programming? Couldn’t if I wanted to. Knowing what you don’t want automatically narrows down your search. Also, it’s easier to write a cover letter if you don’t cringe at the thought of getting the job.

My next step in ending the “what am I doing with my life?!” panic was to think about what my general interests might allow me to do. Industries that I am considering are media, communications/PR, public health, and education. Since assembling my list of interests, I’ve researched opportunities in each field, one at a time. I have gone through the Gateway to look up jobs and internships, sifted through CP&R’s list of career specific websites, and made spreadsheets of alumnae in Life Connections. The Gateway and career websites have given me a handful of jobs and post-bac opportunities I plan to apply for. Talking with women in Life Connections has given me a better sense of the responsibilities, benefits, and downsides of various careers. Never underestimate the power of networking. I could write multiple posts about it (and probably will, stay tuned). Last semester I talked with a Claremont alum who is currently a film producer. I asked her about her own career path, and how she came to decide on and care passionately for her chosen profession. Then I told her honestly that I have little hands-on experience with film, but that I wanted to know what types of jobs are out there in the entertainment industry. Our conversations helped me clarify what it is about film (and media as a whole) that I enjoy, and where I might find the best fit for me.

I think the hard part comes now. It’s easy to sit and think about what it would be like to land that publishing job in New York, or that healthcare fellowship in DC. It’s harder to put yourself out there, to know that you might put hours into a resume and cover letter and it will not guarantee you an interview. Still, I know I am not going to hear “YES” unless I start hitting “submit.” So, personal goal for next week: finalize resumes and cover letters for at least three of the positions that are currently sitting in the foreboding stack on my desk. I guess the next question is, am I ready for the real world?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *