Not another cover letter.

Perhaps I’m a little too ambitious or maybe I just really want the summer internship of my dreams.  This semester, I will be applying to as many sports internships available within a 50-mile radius of my reasonable summer locations, i.e. Miami, Florida or Seattle, Washington.  With so many applications, I am bound to get in somewhere, despite not fitting the ideal candidate profile for most of these internships.  Without a doubt, my least favorite question in the applications is, Are you pursuing a bachelor’s degree in marketing or administration?  In which case, I must answer, “No, unfortunately, I am not pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Marketing nor in Sports Administration; however, I have acquired comparable skills with my education and work experience.”

This is where my cover letter comes in and hits a home run.  I have to dispel their misconceptions of non-marketing/administration majors – I need to show the recruiters that I possess the same if not better skills than their preferred degree-seeking candidates.  Last week, I met with Valinda Lee at CP&R and went over cover letter techniques and suggestions.  After submitting my first cover letter and resume, I was utterly exhausted.  A week later, the thought of writing at least seven more cover letters and changing my resume to fit different descriptions literally darkened the skies as I ran to the library, trying to avoid the looming rain.

Consequently, I embarked on a mission to find an easier and more efficient way to write a cover letter without wasting time, mulling over examples time after time.  Eureka!  On Thursday, I attended a CP&R workshop – “Making the Best of your On Campus Job” and Valinda enlightened the attendees with what CP&R refers to as an idea bank for interview questions.  While I am not at that stage yet, I can adapt the basic idea bank concept for cover letter/resume purposes.  I have set up a two-column table: Column 1 lists desirable skills employers seek and Column 2 lists brief examples where I have demonstrated to have those skills.  Note: I am listing the examples by previous jobs so that it helps me construct the accompanying resume quicker.

Desirable Skills Examples of skills
detail oriented – TF650: running accounting audits; running delinquency reports; reconciling accounts;

– FITS: marketing items;

– HOM: reviewing grant proposals;

– 5CA: coding & designing website

listening and organization skills – TF650: addressing resident complaints; maintaining lease/re-sale files;

– FITS: faculty websites; phone/in-office support;

– R&S: fundraisers;

– HOM: processing applications;

– RT: creating curriculum; managing weekly tutoring sessions;

A few words should do the trick, making it easier to write compelling examples – all I have to do is look at my list and pull out examples. The painstaking application process has suddenly transformed into something less tedious and a lot more manageable.

2 thoughts on “Not another cover letter.

1. Yay, the story bank was helpful! So sorry I didn’t think to mention it while we were in our session together, I usually just think of that in terms of interviewing, but you’re right. It’s perfect for cover letters, too.

2. I definitely use something like that when I’m writing cover letters; it really helps me pull apart what duties mean and how I’ve done things that would address that need.