When doing laundry becomes the priority…

I won’t lie. I’ve been avoiding resumes and cover letters like the creepy second cousin-in-law at a family reunion. I have gotten very good at completing all other tasks on my to-do list. The recycling has been taken out. Several rounds of dishwashing have happened. I’ve picked stuff up off my bedroom floor.  I even made muffins. And cupcakes.

I should not be surprised by my reorganization of priorities; I’m the same way with thank you letters. It’s not that I don’t want to do them (okay, it’s a little because I don’t want to do them). It’s because, if you are going to take the time to do them, you had better do them right. I do not feel comfortable submitting something that does not genuinely represent me as a qualified, passionate, and knowledgeable applicant. In my mind, that means every company, every organization, every institution should get their own, individualized version or my resume and cover letter. They should feel like they are important enough to me that I would not send something generic. They should feel special.

Do you know how much time that takes?

Here we are, end of February, and I just put my holiday thank you notes in the mail. Luckily, my friends and family are forgiving, and (at least I hope) know that every word I say was thought out and earnestly meant. Employers don’t have the time to wait around. Deadlines pass. Positions get filled. At some point, it doesn’t matter how eloquent you are. The opportunity is gone.

If we’re going to be honest here, writing cover letters – really not that fun. You have one page to convey who you are, why you find the organization innovative and ideal, and why you are really, truly, ultimately, the only one who is right for the position. That’s a lot of pressure. You don’t know the person who will be reading it. Which skill sets do they believe to be the most imperative?  How many cover letters will they have sifted through before landing on yours? What if they find standard letters dull, and are looking for creativity or a sense of humor?

Resumes are easier. I know what I’ve done, the responsibilities I’ve managed, the skill sets I’ve honed. Still, I can’t help look over my resume and wonder if it can truly reflect what it is that I have done, and all that I am capable of doing.

CP&R’s Resumania Challenge seems to be the final motivator in getting me to set a definitive deadline. By March 8th, all revisions will be done to my resume and I will have submitted it on The Gateway. Now I just need to find more positions that excite me enough to write an impassioned cover letter.

One thought on “When doing laundry becomes the priority…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *