Finding Somewhere to Live

Sometimes I feel like finding summer housing is more stressful, difficult, and time-consuming than applying for a summer internship. Am I alone on this?

There are so many factors to consider: cost, location, amenities. Then there are the actual options: apartments, houses, dorms. Where does one begin?

Personally, I started with my parents. I discussed my situation with them in great detail and they kindly offered to help pay for my summer living arrangements, considering that my internship is unpaid and that I did not get the grant I was hoping for. Washington, DC is a funny city in the sense that it’s pretty divided; like any big city, parts of it are “nicer” than others and I want to make sure I’m in a safe area. Parts of Virginia and Maryland are pleasant and safe, but living there would make for a long daily commute to and from work and another long trip if I wanted to spend free time in the city, meaning I would be unlikely to leave my abode on weekends. That’s not what I want. I’m spending the summer in DC as a “test run” to make sure I really am in love with the city before I fully commit and move there after graduation. I won’t be able to learn that if I’m living in another state.

After ruling out a number of less expensive options so that I could live near my internship and my friends in the city, I began trawling Craigslist and asking friends about housing in the city. Georgetown is very nice and a friend of a friend was looking into getting a house there. It would involve taking the bus downtown, rather than the metro, but that wasn’t the end of the world. What was obnoxious was that the bus stops running earlier and that rent was fairly steep, even split three or four ways. I strongly considered that for some time, but what other options did I have?

A few days ago, I decided to bite the bullet and call American University. I lived there last semester so I know the area really well. The campus is conveniently a 5-minute walk to the metro and only six short stops from my internship. There are drugstores, a grocery store, a hardware store, and other convenient amenities nearby. Also, because I would be living on a campus, I would have laundry facilities in my building and a gym (and indoor pool) only a 10-minute walk from my dorm. I would have to live in a double, but I would not have to worry about finding furniture or dealing with any of the stresses that come with having my own place. In a dorm, I would need to bring bedding, clothes, and my computer.

I’ve sent in my summer housing application and it looks like I’ll be back on campus this summer. That’s one more thing off my checklist. The next step? Booking flights and packing!