The Importance of Leisure

Though some say that Spain is not so different from the United States, I am constantly reminded of the opposite. I often find myself wandering down a side street at two in the afternoon, peering into shops that are closed for lunch. The Spanish schedule is certainly different from the 9 to 5 work days that I’m accustomed to. Especially in the Southern province of Andalusia, the warm, idyllic Mediterranean setting births a laid-back atmosphere. As a result, it’s not unusual to peek down an alley that is completely silent in the middle of the day because the shop owners have left for lunch and the famous Spanish siesta.

Perhaps not surprisingly, I found the relaxed Spanish timetable easy to get used to. While it is convenient to be able to walk into a grocery store for a snack without worrying about midday closures, I do appreciate the long breaks that allow my family to get together and have a traditional, relaxed lunch daily, when everyone has time to recount their day and catch up with the family. I also appreciate the stretch of time after lunch to chat with my parents while sipping herbal tea, and then curling up on the couch to fall asleep with Spanish novels in hand.

However, the leisurely attitude of Andalusians toward work schedules also lead to missed appointments and scheduling mishaps. Yesterday afternoon, I was riding the bus to my new internship with an English language magazine, when I got a call from my supervisor, cancelling our meeting because something came up. I felt a flash of disappointment, but remembered my program director’s warning about Andalusian schedules. I decided to let go of my (already loose) grip on the rigid “American” concept of time, and made the most of my afternoon by enjoying the sunshine and drawing the Cathedral of Granada in my sketchbook.

Today, I am looking forward to (hopefully) actually starting my first day at the internship. I am learning through experience that a laid-back attitude is sometimes essential for adjusting to a new workplace, school, or country. At Scripps, I was used to having constant meetings and classes throughout the day; my Google calendar was color coded by various activities. While I do miss my vibrant, fast paced academic and personal life on campus, a relaxed schedule certainly has many benefits, including the ability to focus on loved ones and develop my creative interests. I am realizing that I do not have to feel guilty about occasionally allowing time for myself, and I hope that I will carry a piece of this new, “Spanish” mindset back to campus next semester.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *