The Internship Grant Application Process

For some reason, grants have always seemed like something above me — something for college professors, or brilliant researchers, people that were far, far away from anything I’d ever thought I’d be. However, when I secured an unpaid internship with Livefyre for the summer, I kept my eyes peeled for the magical announcement that grant applications were released. If you’re interested in finding out how the application process for unpaid internships goes, keep reading!

1. Step One: Secure an internship you’ll love, at a company you respect. Know what the company does and what they plan to do in the future. What is your role at the company? What work will you achieve there and what do you hope to learn? It’s important to have enthusiasm for the work you’ll be doing and where you’re working. Is the company genuinely excited about what they’re doing? What excites you about your work there? What makes you want to get out of bed on a beautiful summer day and go to work? As long as you’re confident and excited in the company you’re with, your enthusiasm will radiate out into all other aspects of your application process. Don’t hide it!
  2. Step Two: Petition for .50 or a full credit for your unpaid internship. This is important for two reasons: first, you need the credit to be eligible for a grant if you are working at a for-profit company, and two, why wouldn’t you want credits, if you’re not getting paid? While your internship will be a valuable experience personally, you can also make it a valuable experience in terms of your academic career. Even if you don’t end up getting a grant, you can still count the internship toward your major, or as an elective. It’s an easy petition — only one page, and requiring the signature of your adviser. Not bad!
  3. (The Rather Obvious) Step Three: Complete the CP&R internship grant application and budget worksheet. CP&R posts the application up on the ever-helpful Gateway early in the spring semester. It’s a competitive process, so it’s best to get your application in as quick as possible! Be sure to pay attention to detail — use action words and write well, just as you would with a resume. Make sure to keep the application portion under two pages, but hit on all of the relevant points. Be honest and specific in your budget worksheet — how much money do you truly need to make the internship work/satisfactory? Where can you cut back, and where do you really need the funding? Remember, your application is your first step forward into the application process, and the first impression you’ll give. Make it a good one!
  4. Step Four: Wait, wait, wait. I turned in my grant application in mid-February, and they were due April 10. That meant I had a whole lot of time to twiddle my thumbs. I tried not to go back and nitpick my application, or bite my nails down to stubs. Rather, I put it in the back of my mind and focused on other things — schoolwork, extra-curriculars, and friends. There was no use in worrying over something I couldn’t control or speed up. All I could do was wait, and that’s all you can do, too. It may seem hard, but with how busy the spring semester always is, the time will fly be faster than you know!
  5. Step Five: Hear back about an interview? Good! Schedule a mock interview with CP&R right away. I had a fantastic mock interview with Valinda Lee. She went into “interview” mode and grilled me seriously for a good fifteen minutes, before we put our heads together and brainstormed how I could improve upon my answers. We talked through my upcoming internship with Livefyre, and decided on the most important points that would impress the panel interviewing me. Every internship is different in this regard. For me, I had a few really great things going for me: I would be the second woman at the company, the previous intern who had held the position at the Livefyre headquarters was a college graduate (I’m a sophomore), women are generally underrepresented in technology, and Livefyre has some great academic promise that I could focus on over the summer and bring back to Scripps in the fall. What aspects of your internship will make you stand out above your competition? Are you going to be working on specific projects over the summer that have some relevance to campus? What can you learn, and how can Scripps students benefit from hearing about your experience? Be prepared for these questions, and also be prepared with the basics: what the company does, what you’ll be doing specifically as an intern, why you deserve the grant, etc.
  6. Step Six: Interview with the panel. Nerve-racking, I know. I’m going to repeat a lot of stuff I’ve said before: dress professionally. I wore a skirt, a white blouse, and a cardigan to my interview. I accessorized with nice jewelry and one of my favorite subtle nail polishes, OPI’s Call Your Mother. You might remember it from my post about nail polishes! I also brought along my leather Scripps folio, with my resumé, original grant application, and notes on everything I wanted to cover in the interview inside. I didn’t use my resumé or my application, and I glanced at my notes once, but it was nice to have all of it there, just in case. I’m not going to give away the questions that were asked (and, to be honest, I’m not sure if I remember all of them — I was pretty nervous!), but I will say that a mock interview prepared me really well for the interview with the panel. Also, here’s a tip that Valinda gave me: smile! Make eye contact with everyone seated at the table. You want to look relaxed, professional, passionate, and out-going. Sitting back in your chair and quietly answering questions won’t catch anyone’s attention. You’re excited to have this internship opportunity, and you’ve made it far in the application process, so let it be known!

Applying for an internship grant is a long process, and more often than not it’s a little bit nerve-racking. This year, I was told that there were about 80 applicants, and about 20 were chosen for an interview. There are 11 grants total. That’s an incredibly competitive process, but I will say that, personally, it was an incredibly rewarding experience. I got invaluable practice in filling out a lengthy application, completing my (first-ever) budgeting worksheet, and I also had some absolutely fantastic interviewing experience. Either way it turns out, the process is educating in so many ways. Next summer, if you’re looking for grants, don’t be afraid to start the application process — it’s definitely worth it.