Making Connections and How to NOT Be the Most Awkward Person Ever

Hello everyone! Hope you all had a GREAT first couple of weeks back! This week, I’ve decided to talk about one of my most CP&R-relevant experiences from this summer, which was establishing a connection with someone of consequence in my future field, creative writing. Obviously, having connections like this is very important in that these people can give you suggestions on where to apply for internships, and can even move your application to the TOP of the pile so that your chances of getting a desired internship are higher.

My mom had been invited to the Renaissance Conference in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, which is, apart from being completely different from a Renaissance Fair, a weekend gathering of highly respected intellectuals from around the world and their families. Attendees included screenwriters, famous historians, and Mahatma Gandhi’s grandson. At each meal, we were to sit at a table with eight seats and really get to know and talk with those at our table. One evening, I happened to be seated at a table with Patrick Hunt, the head of the writing department at Stanford. When I mentioned that I was hoping to design my own major in creative writing and pursue writing further in graduate school, he responded enthusiastically and said that he would be more than willing to give me his e-mail address so I could contact him later if I ever needed anything.

This was the first time I had ever met a person who was so high-up and knowledgeable in my field. As such, I was extremely nervous and didn’t quite know what to do. Even though I wasn’t sure whether I would follow a screenwriting or prose track after college, I still knew this was a connection it would be important to have. I was lucky enough to have a smartphone, so as we were leaving the table, I used it to take down his name and e-mail address. Boom. Useful connection made.

We happened to be flying with the same airline as we were leaving Jackson Hole. Recognizing him, and thinking that I had not done enough on my own part to give him information to contact me, I regretted not having a business card of some kind. So in lieu of a formal card, I wrote down my name and e-mail address on a scrap piece of paper in highlighter, handed it to him, and watched him stow it in his pocket as I scuttled off. Only five minutes later did I realize that giving him my information in that manner was probably a bad idea. When you’re trying to establish a connection like this, the most important thing is that you have his or her information. Once you have it, send them a cordial e-mail as soon as you can (which I did as soon as I got home!), because it’s polite, and will ensure that they have your information electronically. Then, whether it be weeks or months later, you can enter an already opened channel of communication with your contact. I was lucky in that Mr. Hunt replied to my e-mail almost immediately, but do not be discouraged if you don’t!

But above all, just try to be yourself and polite, and if they don’t specifically ask for your e-mail address, all you need is his or hers. Hopefully you’ll come across some connections as kind as Dr. Hunt. Good luck!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *