Confronting the Senior Thesis

If you’re a Scripps senior like me, the time has come for you to meet the Senior Thesis. At first, the Thesis is an aloof and mysterious creature. You can outline its nebulous shape through a fog of all the classes you’ve taken in your major and all the ideas that have inspired you. It lurks in the shadows, hiding behind the overwhelming piles of reading for other classes and fellowship/graduate school applications.

I am still in the preliminary stages of getting to know my senior thesis, and I find myself often caught between excitement and panic. So many ideas and communities have inspired me over the past three years. How can I possibly sift through them all to construct a project that will incorporate all my passions? This isn’t just any project, I thought; thesis is a culmination of my college career that must be original, worthwhile, and representative of all the moments of intellectual brilliance and personal transformation that Scripps fosters.

Then I realized that some of those standards are perhaps a little unrealistic. Even though I have trouble letting go of intellectual ambition and perfectionism, I knew I would have to narrow down some goals for this defining experience of my Scripps life.

Although most people might not think of an extensive academic paper as something useful for future careers, a good thesis can be extremely helpful for getting into graduate school or getting a job. Keeping in mind that I may want to apply for graduate programs in literature, I wanted to produce a writing sample that would showcase my ability to critically analyze literary narratives.

Pragmatics aside, I also wanted this project to serve as a step in helping me contextualize my personal experiences within a larger political context. I sought to explore the topic of citizenship and nationality, concepts that have been constantly present in my life. In an effort to articulate my political ideals to myself and others, I wanted this project to be deeply personal.

Thesis is a fantastic opportunity to exercise a newfound academic freedom in line with your personal goals. I wrestle with the boundaries of that freedom. My ideas currently encompass history, politics, literary narratives, creative writing, and a community project. Trying to compartmentalize my project into one discipline would be impossible.

If you are still an optimistic underclasswoman, I encourage you to look forward to the day when you will share a beautiful and tumultuous relationship with the dreaded Senior Thesis. Be thoughtful and daring; approach it with passion and care.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *